1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

outfront or ztr???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazyike, Dec 26, 2005.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all pros.
    just found the site a couple of days ago and have gotten alot of ideas about my small mowing business.
    For the past 3 years I have been mowing just enough yeards to keep me busy on my 4 days off from my other job. ( I find mowing more enjoyable, and rewarding) and have decided to take it up a notch.
    I have lettered my truck and bought uniforms and have added an employee. (my wife), I am currently using a john deere 425 aws tractor because I needed the snowblower at my house in the winter but I bought a blade this winter so now I am looking at new mowers.
    My question is what are the mowing differnces of a frontmount Like a scag and a ztr like scags tiger?
    I have been oooing over the lawns that I have seen them cut even though the other mowing companys have let them go and they look horriable.
    Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.
    Mike :waving:

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll find most here will recommend mid-mount ZTRs for the sole reason they take up less space on a trailer. That's why most manufacturers have stopped making the 3-wheel front mounts (FMs).

FMs usually leave a better cut (less scuffing and scalping), possibly due to slower cutting speeds vs. ZTRs. However, in the hands of skilled operator (3-point turns), and to a lesser extent, the make/model of ZTR used, a ZTR can leave a very nice look as well.

FMs will have a much shorter operator learning curve and can reach under bushes and shrubs much easier than a ZTR. Reasons why I chose a 3-wheel unit, but I'm not a commercial operator, merely a homeowner with a large lawn with lots of trees.

All that being said, Scag makes great products, and in my area, has super dealer support. The latter being one reason I would not consider an Exmark. In fact, had I not stumbled upon my Ransomes at such a good price (budget limitation was a huge factor), I would have made every effort to get funding for a Scag STHM by wining-and-dining the CFO.

Hope this helped...