Outsourcing Adwords

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Credsfan03, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Credsfan03

Credsfan03 LawnSite Member

Recommendations on outsourcing adwords or taking on this task myself? I have read some books and watched a lot of videos on adwords so I have a really good understanding of what to do and what not to do but I am by no means a professional. My main concern is the difficulty to find a company that I trust to actually do the work. The company I have been talking to right now is SEO Arbiter and the guy trying to sell to me definitely really knows what he is talking about that obviously doesn't mean the company will do a good job. Any suggestions or any experiences you've had are greatly appreciated.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I know that company and their work. My advice? Do as much due diligence as you possibly can and ask for apples to apples references.

Some general advice:
    - Understand their contract terms
    - Understand their pricing model (ie, their cut vs your actual adwords spend)
    - Look at their reviews. (Not just the ones they facilitate, but dig deeper.)
    - Be wary of companies with outbound call centers.

When doing your due diligence, is it strange that a company that's been around for over a decade has 0 Google Reviews? In fact, look at their own SEO and social profile initiatives. For an SEO company, with a physical location featured on their website, that also does reputations management, you might start to notice some glaring omissions. Google Maps, Facebook, Bing, etc.

For me, here is my main concern: Are you even at a point where you should be looking at Adwords campaigns? The last we knew (mid-December), you were running a GoDaddy site and looking to build something new. Have you done that and is the site set up to convert PPC campaigns?

You'll want to make sure you're in a position to take advantage of any Adwords campaigns. It's possible you've done this and we just aren't aware, but to me, this is the very first thing I'm looking at and, ethically, the first reason I (as an arbiter...) might tell you, "I don't think you're there yet. What's the plan for your site to convert these paid leads? You need to be ready to go before we start spending your other money.".

Finally, reread my list of general advice. Questions, holla.

WPLC, JoeandTob and hort101 like this.
  3. tonygreek

As a followup, specific to you potentially DIY'ing a campaign, have you put together a budget for this year? Depending on what that is, and because you have some level of knowledge, you might get more bang for your buck by testing your own small campaign first.

By this, I mean if you have a small budget, going to a web marketing mill for an assist might not be your best use of resources and it might whittle your actual Adwords spend down to a point that doesn't make it worth it.

In your case, you have two things going for you:
    1. A "Welcome to Adwords" bit of house money to start with (usually $75- $100 on your own $25 spend).
    2. A market that's not particularly Adwords savvy.

JoeandTob likes this.
  4. islandpro

islandpro LawnSite Member

Tony is bang-on, without a website and landing pages setup (properly) you'll be giving Google (and your adwords managers) money that could be better spent elsewhere.

It doesn't take very long for a very small (but targeted) adwords campaign for a lawn care co. That doesn't count landing page creation or keyword research (keywords phrases with intent) which you need prior to setting up your adwords campaign.

That is for a small campaign, maybe 30 keywords max (phrase and exact match only), just as many negative keywords, several ad groups for proper targeting, several ad variations in each group (split testing), and setup of ad call outs and extensions (take up more screen real estate)

Perry Marshall was where I learned how to Google Adwords over a decade ago, lol. I think the book was called "The Definitive Guide To Google Adwords".

tonygreek likes this.
  5. Credsfan03

Credsfan03 LawnSite Member

Long term my goal is to really work on SEO. I have a lot of work to do on that front but just being high on the google my business listings has brought us in a bunch of work lately. The competitors in my immediate area are really weak on web marketing so I think I can get a huge competitive edge in that regard. My company focuses on jobs that we can profit greatly on. Our three main revenue producers are landscape design and installation, landscape maintenance, and deck construction. Our immediate area has a small low income city but is largely rural with a lot of pretty nice areas surrounding the city. We do between 50-60% of our work in this area. The rest of our work comes from about a 30 mile radius south of our location that has a lot of very, very high income areas. Since we mainly focus on offering high revenue services we are able to take on this market despite the distance. (We only offer mowing and snow removal in our immediate area to stay efficient). Up to this point we have used Homeadvisor to attack these areas. We have had a lot of success with Homeadvisor but Google Adwords seems like it would be a lot cheaper if a campaign is ran right and it also allows us to reach more of the market since a large amount of people do not go through Homeadvisor to find a service provider. With Google Adwords we can also attack just the areas where our ideal customers for the services we offer and leave out the less ideal locations. We can support a budget of between 2.5k and 3k a month for web based marketing. If I ran my own campaign I would not put that much into it at first obviously and would slowly work into that budget while making adjustments. I have never set up a landing page but do realize that it is vital to a successful adwords campaign. I actually bought a course on Udemy a week or two ago about setting up landing pages so hopefully I can learn a lot from that. Also, I am to the point in my company where I am in the field probably one day a week, doing estimates 2-3 days, and the rest just in the office so I do have time to put into an Adwords campaign. It wouldn't be me just throwing out a budget and never working on it. I am leaning towards running my own campaign but I guess I just need that extra bit of encouragement. Can someone who is willing to learn and put some effort into it be pretty successful in running their own campaign? Thanks

6. islandpro

islandpro LawnSite Member

Line breaks... lol. Yeah but when you start spending $2k-$3k/month on PPC you are creating a very hands-on campaign and if your site isn't ready you'll be saying adios to your money.

Your first step is to get a proper site, don't spend any money promoting your GoDaddy site.

tonygreek likes this.
  7. tonygreek

I finally just copied and pasted it into Notepad and threw in random line breaks. *trucewhiteflag*

1,000% this. $2k-$3k/month brings a proper agency and a proper agency will say, "Invest in a professionally built, non-GoDaddy site and then come talk to us.". That kind of budget is "blood in the water" for less than ethical web marketers, so be very careful.

And if $2k-$3k is for web-based marketing, you should absolutely carve out some of that for a website. If your budget really is that comfortable, I'm not sure why you're entertaining all of this DIY work.

Can you run your own Adwords campaign and build landing pages? Of course. Should you? I guess it's a matter of how you value your time and whether your business is better off on you being a landscape expert, and working on that aspect, or grinding to become a web marketer. The curve is both time-intensive and potentially expensive.

Lawnline likes this.