Over grown lawn / should I give up the customer

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Seems there’s a mindset that knuckleheads that mow are supposed to take whatever crap is thrown at them by many. Example, person wanted me to trim under a tree but the limbs hung below head height. I asked them to trim limbs so I could walk normally under the tree. They thought I was being unreasonable. But ask them if they would work at their job while bumping their head on things and what do you think they would say.

Reality is there’s a line goobers that comes along and will take that stuff. Proof, just read the threads on here

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
I remembered that I have pictures I took the day I decided I wasn't going to do this lawn any more.
When I first started this job I cut the front yard with my 36" walk behind, but after they started fertilizing, I could no longer use that mower because I have a mulch kit on it. All it did was clog up the deck and make a mess, so I now had to mow both the front AND back (small gate) with the 21".

One week's growth. There's no way I was bagging and hauling all of that (plus the sizeable back yard) away for $35.

K c m

LawnSite Silver Member
I have some customers that are hard to manage.
The lawn is normally anywhere between 6 1/2 and 8 inches long. I cut these customers on Friday. They range between 45 and $50 for 2/3 of an acre. I have a 36,48 Scag vRides. I side discharge, use gator blades, and have the blades raised to the highest setting at 4.5 inches. I double cut, and then I have to triple cut and bag or bag first then double cut. Normally takes an hour for me and my guy. So $20 for him $5 gas $20-25 me. It’s not worth it at all especially when I have lawns at $30 that take about 10 to 15 minutes.
These customers are nice, pay every week and have been with me since I started 6 years ago. I just know there not worth the money as I make more else we’re. Also if they used me for home improvements or cleanups I’d think differently but they don’t. Strictly cuts and I feel lost and wonder what should I do?

naa! Here’s what you do as a lot of us deal with this. Don’t double cut or try to make it look pretty. One cut and gone. Cut at 4-5” and be done. Normally these folks just want the township off them. Biweekly lawns are like this. I Vuck their Zhit up and they don’t seem to care.

Groomer

LawnSite Gold Member
I remembered that I have pictures I took the day I decided I wasn't going to do this lawn any more.
When I first started this job I cut the front yard with my 36" walk behind, but after they started fertilizing, I could no longer use that mower because I have a mulch kit on it. All it did was clog up the deck and make a mess, so I now had to mow both the front AND back (small gate) with the 21".

One week's growth. There's no way I was bagging and hauling all of that (plus the sizeable back yard) away for $35.

man, that poor little toro looks lost.

looks to be some serious spring growth that needs a 4 day cut until summer slows things up a bit.

OakNut

LawnSite Fanatic
man, that poor little toro looks lost.

looks to be some serious spring growth that needs a 4 day cut until summer slows things up a bit.

It wasn't like that until they started having someone fertilize. :mad:

I mow that street on Mondays. The next door neighbor has me come back again on Fridays (if I have time) to mow the back yard a second time to keep up with it during the spring.
She pays the full price for the second cut even though I only mow the back. (the front grows more slowly)
I was going to do it at a discounted rate, but she insists on paying the full $40 each time.
That's the kind of customer we all want.

Top Forums