Over seeding - Need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ben Harms, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ben Harms

Ben Harms LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Many people are asking me if to over seed their already established lawn. The people who are inquiring about the over seeding don't really have patches but just want it done after I aerate their lawn. How much seed per 1000 square feet should I throw down?

* I live in northern Illinois (cool season grasses, majority KBG)

2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm south but used to do a lot of over seeding in shade areas with fescue blends. Generally, at least the seed blends I've purchased always on the lable on the bag will give you the best rate for overseeding or new seeding. I suggest use that rate. Too much seed will give too much competition for nutrients sunlight etc. Too little won't see results. Just my 2 cents

Doc8406 likes this.
  3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

If the lawns are thick then just go w the minimum it says on the bag usually 3-5lbs depending on grass type. use starter fert as well.

flybynite likes this.
  4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Check the bag and use it's suggest rate.

I like 2-3lbs for thin lawns using a kbg/fine fescue blends. Good time to top dress with compost too.

5. OP
    OP
    Ben Harms

Not saying I would be negligent but say I happened to apply a KBG seed on a fescue lawn - how noticeable would the results be?

Take a look at LESCOS blend https://www.siteone.com/p/571583

seems very expensive and look at the composition of the bag "30% Chewings Fescue, 30% Creeping Red Fescue, 15% Hard Fescue, 15% Turf-type perennial Ryegrass-1 variety, 10% Kentucky Bluegrass"

What results would differ if I used this lesco bag on a fescue lawn vs. if i used a fescue blend on a lawn?

6. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

Seems like a bag of shade seed.

Fine fescue and kbg look fine together. Now tall fescue will not blend well with kbg or fine fescue.

This is one of my go-to shade seed blends.
    KIMG1420.JPG

Ben Harms likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Ben Harms

who makes that blend? What the bag called?

8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

It's the house bend at C.J. Fiore Nursery. It's thier shade seed. My favorite supply yard. Not sure where you are but they have a few locations.
    http://cjfiore.com

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think in an overseed situation, not much bluegrass takes hold. Seed is small and slow to start. It is nearly impossible to tell how much took hold.
    I would sow shade seed in shady areas--then go over the whole area with a sun and shade mix.
    Perennial ryegrass takes hold the best.
    Again, the old grass and new grass look almost the same.
    Just be sure you include plenty of fertilizer--top quality with 50 percent slow release.
    And be sure you convince the customer to water every day for 30 days.
    The new turf-type tall fescues with narrow leaf blades will add strength during hot weather. Falcon V, Hemi, and Bullseye, for instance.

10. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

i agree w kemco just follow what the label says... you dont want to lay too much or too little.