Over seeding - Need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ben Harms, Mar 13, 2019.

1. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I would not introduce any new type of grass into an existing lawn unless that is exactly what the customer wants. Different types of grass have different colors and growth rates that can make the lawn look mottled or bumpy. This is particularly true when overseeding because the new grass will establish better in the thinner areas of the lawn.

As for your original question most experts recommend overseeding at ½ the rate of a bare ground seeding.

Ben Harms likes this.
  2. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

the link goes to a lesco shade blend bag.

3lb/ 1,000 is a good starting rate. New lawns you need 5-6 lbs rate so 1/2 is good advice.

Kentucky 31 is the only seed I would not introduce as its yellow green and looks like sage against a nice yard. Most clients are very happy with green stufff growing where it was not.

3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

This will probably be true with many customers, but I hope you aren't advocating doing this without having a conversation about it with your customer because unless you explain what you are doing with your customer, your customer will be depending on you and expecting you to be knowledgeable and have their best interest at heart. Letting them down by just doing what may be easiest for you doesn’t seem very professional to me or even a very nice way to treat a customer.

You may want to give this some thought the next time you need to see a doctor.