Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here we go again with an overgrown property question. Fellow called from Alabama today asking me to clean up around his mother's new home not far from here. Sorry, no pictures, but looks similar to, but even worse, than the current "Really Bad" thread on this subject, although not quite as large with regard to the area. This cleanup is confined primarily to an area surrounding the back and sides of the house, a distance of perhaps 15 yards at the widest point. Weeds include everything you could possibly name, but are mostly what we call "horseweeds" here in the Ozarks. Don't know the proper name, but they are as much as 12-15 feet tall, and have stalks as much as an inch to inch and a half in diameter.

Others have mentioned using articulated hedge trimmer attachments for cutting stuff like this, and I don't really have a problem with buying a new piece of equipment, as it seems every year I get a cleanup job or two that is really too tough for a regular string trimmer. However, I'm not sure how heavy a growth the hedge trimmers will handle, plus there is another major problem thrown into the mix. The house is stone, and piles of leftover building stone are scattered all through this mess. I'm talking individual stones from baseball size to 2 feet in diameter or more, and these are "crushed" stone, so are very rough and irregular.

I'm thinking articulated hedge trimmers and rock might not mix, but haven't used them, so really don't know. Also, is there anything else out there which would be practical for an application like this? Apparently the builder bailed on these people (went out of business?), and left a heck of a mess.

I'm really thinking of telling the guy he would be better off to hire heavy equipment to simply clean up all the debris along with the weeds in the first place, but thought I'd ask on here first. Thanks.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
My son used a Billygoat bushhog.....about 31" wide I would guess to cut down a small field that had tall grass/horse weeds/small trees. It was a rental and we had used before but this was a field with stuff almost 6' tall in places. I am really impressed with those machines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.