Overgrown/Tall Grass Jobs -Love, Hate, or Just Don't Do 'Em?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by curtislawncare, Mar 10, 2015.

?

How to you feel about overgrown and tall grass?

1. Love them and do them with glee

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Hate them but still do them

64 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I do not cut overgrown grass

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. 3rdDayBrad

3rdDayBrad LawnSite Member
    from MI

Never fun, but most are do-able with a little effort. Like others, I charge accordingly. Its going to be at least a double, if not triple, cut. And the time involved is at least 2.5 times longer what it would be normally be. If they don't want to pay my price for a quality job, then I don't want the work.

2. VampireCat019

VampireCat019 LawnSite Member

I like doing them! First I side-discharge everything with a gator blade. Then I bag it all with a nicer mower and I love making the mess turn into a really nice lawn in comparison. There's something satisfying about looking at the transformation when you're done and feeling good about your work.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Seth Burgess

Seth Burgess LawnSite Member
    from UK

That's entirely fair enough everyone has their own experiences. We don't get many snakes over here though which does make things a bit easier, only actually seen a wasp nest once at work and that was when reducing a beech hedge, was persisting it down so they weren'

4. weeze

weeze Banned

i won't touch them.

if someone will let their yard get in that bad of shape they will never turn out to be a good long time customer.

5. UVA2002

UVA2002 LawnSite Member

Don't love them but do them
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Shags

Shags LawnSite Member

If I had a bush hog I could be making some money!

but I hate cutting thick tall grass. I can make it look somewhat decent but for the most part I have to run over it a bunch of times and its not worth the wear and tear on my mowers and the owners don't want to pay enough.

7. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do them and don't recomend any professional company's to do so... Let's say you pull up on the job and it's usually a $50 job but it's overgrown... You charge $200-250 for it... So your about half way thru and you hit the peace of rebar sticking out of the ground an bend your deck... $250 won't cover a new deck an owners not going to pay for replacement!!! Just stay away from that kind of work!!!

8. Overwatch

Overwatch LawnSite Member

I'll do 'em if they're less than an acre. Any more than a couple of feet high and it's a brushblade. Less than that, swap out some old blades and just move slowly. I really dislike empty lots though- they tend to have lots of extremely rough patches and exposed boulders.

9. rspeaker

rspeaker LawnSite Member
    from MD

I did one two weeks ago for a guy, I told him up front I would do my best but it can sometimes take a few regular mows before the yard starts to look good again, and I required prepayment for the first month of mowings. He was fine with that.

I started by going around the edges of the lawn with the trimmer, and I found some 2x4s that had been set up about 3 feet from the fence to make a "garden" (long since overgrown.) Was really glad I found that with the trimmer rather than my mower.

The guy complimented me on the work when I was done, and thanks to prepayment, there was no chance of him dropping me after the first mow.

(I should have charged another $15-$20 for the first service, and should charge another $5-$10 for his EOW service. But it's fine until next season.)

10. luda9400

luda9400 LawnSite Member

The truth is the worst lawn I ever showed up to was two years without it being cut, back lawn only. I couldn't get the gate to open toget into the back yard. We had to use a ladder to climb over the top with a string trimmer to cut down enough of the weeds/grass to get the gate open. It cost them 900ish I don't remember the exact price. I'm 5'10''. It was taller than me in some areas. I had to go through with a string trimmer, cut the entire thing to the ground, let it sit for a week in the sun and dry. Rake it all onto tarps. Tarp it all out to the truck, fill the bed, fill the 12 foot enclosed trailer. Rinse and repeat until the long grass was gone. After that, we charged for two double cuts to get the rest of the grass down one week at a time. The first time we didn't catch the clippings, the second time we caught half and spread it across the lawn. She's become, at my current company the best client we have. She tips regularly 60 dollars monthly on her bill to the whomever was servicing her lawn that week. From that experience alone, I never say no. I just ask for money up front(half) and warn them it'll look like hell unless they give me a few weeks to get it looking good.