Overgrown/Tall Grass Jobs -Love, Hate, or Just Don't Do 'Em?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by curtislawncare, Mar 10, 2015.

?

How to you feel about overgrown and tall grass?

1. Love them and do them with glee

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Hate them but still do them

64 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I do not cut overgrown grass

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. CutItHighAndOften

CutItHighAndOften LawnSite Member

A plan that came together. Great work.

2. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I like them, I have the equipment to do them. I turned this into a regular EOW customer. Total disclosure to the customer that it would take 2-3 cuts before it looked good, and the 1st cut would be with a tractor and bush hog. I quoted $135 for the cutting, trimming and blowing off the carport and drive. I also added $15 for trimming low hanging branches along the drive that would scrape my truck. The property is 34k sf of grass, about 3/4 acre. The job took just less than 2 hours and future cuts will be $95

I double cut a couple areas where the grass and weeds were 18" - 24" high. I had this account over a year ago, they found someone to do it for less. The reason they called me, the, the guy quit coming. It's nice to sit on the tractor, nice ride, cup holder, one hand steer, $75 per hour. I'll use the Ferris Evolution on future cuts.

Before-1.jpg

finished-2.jpg

Mid-Way-1.jpg

Double-cut-this.jpg

Finished-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Tn Turf

Tn Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I love them because I charge $15 to $80 more to do them. People are usually glad to pay.

4. Lawn Service  San Antonio

Lawn Service San Antonio LawnSite Member

If I sense it's going to be a one-time customer, I jack the price way up to the point it's almost unreasonable. Hard to determine how much time it will really take. For recurring customers, I'll either quote an hourly rate or a range of what I think is fair. For anything 6-12", I have a standard double charge.

5. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

I would too for that price and deal!

Jack the prices up! Make them pay more!

Estimate about how long it's been since the last cut, and add on an additional cut. For easy math, lets say its $25 a cut.

You think it hasn't been cut in 4 weeks.

$25x4+ an additional $25= $125.

This past year I started out mowing them and quoting with the above method. Some lawns .23 acres I was charging $250 and people were paying.

After doing the math and analyzing the customers, I stopped doing overgrown lawns. These people clearly don't care about how their property looks. They never add on extra services and only pay for the least amount of cuts possible. Come March/April, are they calling you or returning your call to resume service? Nope. But they will call in June/July when it's well overgrown and know they can pay you with all that money they just saved!

The bottom line is, let the new guy in town or lowballer fill their schedule up with these people. Don't waste your time with them.

If your equipped with a mower/brushcutter or any other method to handle these lawns, that's a totally different story.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I just did one this past monday , 2 acres , flat , 3 ft tall grass and saplings . Gave a price of $ 1500. for the first cut then 750 to come back with the finish mower next week . First cut took 3 hours from the time I left till I got back . Used a 5 ft bushhog . I will do these all all day long . I will hand off the regular cutting to another company .

7. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty good profit margin. :)

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

It can be until you run over something and take out a $ 900 plus rear tire .

9. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

10. Derrik

Derrik LawnSite Member

I don't mind doing lawns with tall grass the only problem is you cant see whats below the grass like stumps, roots, bottles, frying pan.. Who know's. So you're taking a chance one messing up your mower especially if its a vacant house are property for sale that no one lives in.