Overgrown/Tall Grass Jobs -Love, Hate, or Just Don't Do 'Em?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by curtislawncare, Mar 10, 2015.

?

How to you feel about overgrown and tall grass?

1. Love them and do them with glee

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. Hate them but still do them

64 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. I do not cut overgrown grass

32 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. Kevin Abel

Kevin Abel LawnSite Member

I like the cleanup work myself , but as stated above most of the time they are a one time deal. I always walk the property the best I can looking for any hidden treasures

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Warning on these type of jobs, in some cases you may have trouble collecting payment. I don't normally do these type of jobs but it was the brother of a good customer so I did a small vacant lot that the city was on the HO to make respectable. Did it with the string trimmer and cut small saplings with the pole saw, less than an hour and charged him $75. That was in Sept and still haven't been paid.

3. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I've been burned before. 90% of these people say they want regular service but what they really want is for you to clean it up one time. I have a tractor so I charge really high and make the money. But realize that more times than not you will not get regular service with these people and it's not worth running your equipment through these rat holes. Oh, I have also learned that it's best to get payment ahead of time or you may not get paid at all!

4. scm

scm LawnSite Member

I do not touch those properties. I don't have a bush hog and would never use a $10,000 mower just to make a few bucks.

5. JohnnyRocker

JohnnyRocker LawnSite Senior Member

The overgrown grass clients are generally the ones we have ended up having the biggest problems with regarding paying on time..or at all. Someone who lets their grass go crazy either is having problems with money, or is just sloppy in general(which is a sign of how sloppy they will be with your payment), or a combination of the both. This is however good work for someone breaking into the field who needs any job they can find, nothing wrong with that. Also, commercial mowers are for "maintaining lawns", they are not designed for "bush hogging service".

Good luck out there!

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

I just did one 2 weeks ago . Guy bought a house , the lawn around the house was ok for about 25 ft behind the house . BUT there was 3/4 acre more lawn that had not been cut in years . Tall grass , 6 ft tall saplings . Guy wanted it cut down . So I told him , cut the area twice , grind up whats there for $ 1500 . He jumped on it .
    ( he tried with a rental walk behind brush cutter spent a day and got very little done.) It took 2 hours with a 5 ft bush hog .

7. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

I love them. I really love when they haven't mowed it in about 7-15 years.

8. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I get a lot of these in the spring time. Someone stopped me Saturday as I was cutting a lawn. She asked me "How much do you charge to cut grass?" I told her I would have to go look at it. When I was done with the yard, I went ride by her residence and as my instincts told me, it was really overgrown. I gave her my price and told her I need upfront payments from overgrown lawns. She told me she would get back to me. Now I know I'll never hear from this lady again but it serves as a lesson to people breaking in the business to be careful because there are people out there who are willing to take advantage of you.