Overgrown Zosia or something else?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Steve, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Grass was in the shade and soggy part of yard, even tho it was mowed about 3 weeks ago some as front, it was considerably overgrown. z1.jpg z2.jpg z4.jpg

here is the front which you could tell was different and considerably shorter.
    z5.jpg

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You mention soggy and the 2nd pic looks like sedge

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like tall fescue to me.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

That's definitely not sedge, I don't work with a lot of fescue but I think Riggle is right.

It's not Zoysia, look at the thatch (or lack of) compared to the zoysia front.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Rye?

6. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Doesn't Zoysia go dormant there too. If so this will help eliminate it or others that don't.

7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Common Name: fescue, tall
    Species: Schedonorus phoenix (Scop.) Holub
    Bayer Code: FESAR

Tall fescue is the most widely grown cool-season species in North Carolina. For a cool-season species, tall fescue is tolerant to heat and drought, disease resistant, and persists with minimum care. It has a tendency to clump due to its bunch-type growth habit and may need to be re-seeded each year in areas that exhibit thin growth patterns due to excessive summer stresses. Tall fescue is easily confused with Kentucky bluegrass, annual ryegrass, and perennial ryegrass. However, Kentucky bluegrass has a boat-shaped leaf tip and distinctive light-colored lines on both sides of the midrib. Tall fescue has rolled vernation in the leaf bud and perennial ryegrass has folded vernation. Also, tall fescue has rough leaf blade margins whereas annual and perennial ryegrass have smooth ones. Tall fescue and perennial ryegrass both have non-clasping auricles, whereas annual ryegrass has clasping auricles. The backside of the tall fescue leaf blade is less glossy than that of annual ryegrass. [​IMG]
    [Click on image to view plant details]
    [​IMG]© copyright 2000-2012 North Carolina State University
    [​IMG] TurfFiles is funded by the Center for Turfgrass Environmental Research & Education (CENTERE) through public and private grants.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

zoysia doesn't grow fast so it's not zoysia.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Zoysia can grow extremely fast if it is a Japonica selection. That looks like Empire, El Toro or else Japonica seed sold at Home Depot. Garbage grasses.

10. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no idea what kind of grass that is, living so far away from me, but it’s not likely to be tall fescue, notice how un-clumpy it is.