1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Overseed blend for baseball field

Discussion in 'Sports Field Maintenance' started by Coachbob, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

We are in Southern California and will be overseeding our Bermuda in November when the kids go on break. I wonder if anyone knows any of these blends and what would give us the best result for this application. Or any others.

IMG_0100.PNG

2. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, I'm a cool season guy with no experience overseeing Bermuda. I recognize a couple of the varieties mentioned in a couple of the blends. It looks as if every one of them scored highly in the 3 columns you should probably care most about. I note that only one scored well in self-repairing. If that is important to your field and program (probably not if you are counting on it to die when Bermuda breaks dormancy), you might consider adding 2-3 lbs per thousand square feet of the one I linked below. I've used it on football fields and it works. It's a good choice here for quick germination because as temperatures drop throughout high school football season not much KBG is going to get established to any useful extent seeded after mid-September, but they could be playing on it until the end of October. Good luck with your project.

http://www.barenbrug.com/rpr-regenerating-perennial-rye-grass

3. OP
    OP
    Coachbob

Coachbob LawnSite Member

Thank you for your post. That RPR looks intriguing. I wonder if it's used for overseeding to any extent. I imagine it would compete with the Bermuda for creeping rights at some point.

foreplease likes this.