Overseed question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Northern grass, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Northern grass

Northern grass LawnSite Member
    from Boston

going to be broadcasting kbg tomorrow, I plan to keep the existing lawn short, 2”. I’ll be dethatching, broadcast, then roll the seeds, tenacity too. When it’s time to mow the existing lawn, should I be bagging the clippings, side discharge, or mulch?
    Thanks

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior Member

Bag them.

3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you may get a lot of different opinions on this. All I can say is that I’ve never had a problem mulching or side discharging them. If you’re following the 1/3 rule, the cuttings will be small and if the grass was thick you probably wouldn’t be over-seeding it. I think the only danger is heavy clumps of cut grass.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  4. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Because of the various responses in threads on this topic. I chose to bag it down to about 1 3/4 inches. Then side discharged down to about an inch or so. Seems to create a nice little seed bed.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

No proof. I think the side discharge would put clippings on top of the seed--thereby serving as mulch. Conserves moisture.
    Starter fert--might help--however it also stimulates the old grass.
    Keep a close eye on this--bluegrass is very slow and the new seedlings are tiny at first. Cut it short so sunlight can hit the new grass--until it is a bit taller. It will be difficult to tell if the bluegrass seed successfully established itself.
    Plant a sample in a coffee cup on your desk. It should be a quarter inch tall in 10 days.
    Be sure to irrigate every day.

I am not sure you need the Tenacity. Weeds and crabgrass in the fall are not usually a problem. Apply Tenacity in spring.

Perennial ryegrass probably takes hold better in an overseed situation. Not sure how this idea can be proven.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Northern grass

Northern grass LawnSite Member
    from Boston

83DD8865-61A9-414A-825E-2ECC620FE838.jpeg Ok Mr Riggles, thanks for the input. I’m going to hold off on the starter fertilizer, I don’t want to wake up the existing fine fescue lawn and risk competition to the kbg. I know this type of overseed situation is a bit of a gamble, but if I succeed in a couple years time, it will be worth it. Here is the blend I ordered

hort101 likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Watering is going to be the key to success imoThumbs Up
    After seeding give it a soaking
    You will need to keep it moist for germination

8. RigglePLC

Landscapers, hydroseeders, if any are around this week--
    Can you apply hydroseed slurry over a short-cut lawn as a method of overseeding?
    Anyone, can you apply some kind of growth regulator to the old grass to slow its growth--thereby allowing the new seed to take hold at a higher level?

Is there any proof that a short cut will help the new seed?

A close relative wants to overseed some thin clumpy perennial rye that did not take hold well last year.
    Will it work to overseed with some turf-type tall fescue? Or do you think--it might turn out patchy due to the different textures of the fescue and the rye?

I am thinking to do an experiment, tall fescue seed on bare soil patches one-foot square. Normal seed rate, double, triple and four X.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  9. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I did my aeration and overseed this past weekend in NE WI. was going to do it a couple weeks earlier, but it was fairly dry so aerating would have been tough to get anything decent done. Ground was hard as a rock.

But we got some rain and I rented a Clausen plug aerator, which I will never try and do 2 acres with that again LOL Thankfully I recovered quickly, but that night it felt like my hamstrings were coming off my legs :)

I cut the grass to 1 3/4 height before aerating, couldn't go much shorter as my lawn is pretty uneven and I would have caused a lot of damage. Aerated then spread the seed. I had 2 types a "shade" mix and sun mix I got from a local landscaper who does pretty much exclusively new lawn installs, but I don't know exactly what was in it. The bags went out in garbage today or i'd go look. I spread it at 5lbs per 1000 which was about in the middle for both recommended overseed rates.

We've gotten rain every day since then with more today and tomorrow so that helps. I was hoping I'd get a couple weeks that i didn't have to cut existing lawn, but it is growing fast. what's too tall? Do I try and keep it at 3 inches or less until overseed catches up? Just leave it for 2-3 weeks? At this rate in 2 weeks it might be 8 inches tall or more.

10. RigglePLC

Not sure. I think shorter is better. Let the sunlight get to the new grass.

EricC likes this.