1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

overseed to late?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by woodlawnservice, Nov 25, 2018.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

current 4" temp average is 51*. I overseeded perennial rye 4 wks ago over the top of Bermuda when soil temp was 60s, no supplemental rainfall. we had a cold snap 2 wks after germinating with freezing temp dipping down into lower 30s for a couple nights, grass looked good up to that point now looks as if its more yellow and thinner blades. just thinner looking overall. I also put more down after the initial install( 2 wks after) and can see no visiable differences. Did I wait to late to overseed all together? rainfall was perfect for germination but not much since. Did the freeze get the young grass? at a loss here

2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m guessing you were a little late, prime seeding time is when soil temps are 70 degrees. Your description fits with what I experience here when making late seedings over bare spots and washouts. The grass here always recovers and does well in the spring after the snow melts. Maybe someone here that lives closer to you can tell you what to expect over the winter.

hort101 and woodlawnservice like this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

It is good you waited until cool weather slowed the Bermuda. I think the rye is OK. Freeze will not hurt it. But cold will slow it down--not much growth below 50 F. degrees.
    What sort of soil preparation was done? None? Vertical mow? Short cut?
    You said, not much rain since--so maybe some water, as in irrigation, would be a help.
    A starter fertilizer should help it to take off. (Along with irrigation and some warm conditions.) Coated nitrogen would be a good bet. I am not sure, but ammonium or nitrate nitrogen would be faster acting, right?
    Local advice is better, naturally. I have seen perennial rye get yellow in cold weather.
    The Bermuda should be brown, right?
    What exact cultivar of perennial rye? Bermuda cultivar?

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  4. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

Common bermuda... mowed short, clippings raked and then overseeded... also aerated.... the rye was double eagle from site one... bermuda is dormant now 100% , at time of planting it was just starting to go under for the winter.

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic