Lawn Care Forum banner

overseeding and powerwashing

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lawrence stone 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

We're thinking of offering powerwashing (aluminum siding, windows, decks, driveways, etc...) and also of trying overseeding with a mechanical seeder (maybe a Ryan or Bluebird). We're looking at a Honda powerwasher.

Do some of you guys offer these services? If so, what equipment do you use? Up until now we've simply used wheelbarrows and shovels for topdressing and scattered seed by hand. Several customers routinely ask for window cleaning and we've just used ladders, buckets, and squeegies.

A lot of lawns around here are 10+ years old and could definately benefit from overseeding. Aerating we already offer. Anyway just curious as to how many of you guys offer powerwashing and overseeding and what the customer demand is like. Also what brand equipment are you using and how has it worked out so far?

Thanks for the info.

----------
Dave in S.Ontario

#2 ·
Dave, I think you are thinking about slice seeding? Overseeding in my area is when someone aerates and then spreads some seed over the lawn. I don't think this does any good from the results that I have seen in my area. Slice seeding on the otherhand is a little more labor and equipment intensive I believe that is why you see guys doing the aerate/overseed deal often. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong on that thought. I also plan on offering slice seeding to my customers this year. Does anyone have an idea about what to charge per/sq.ft. for this type of work?
Chris

#5 ·
We use the Bluebird. You can buy two reels, one with flails for powerraking, and one with fixed knives for slit seeding. Takes about 45 min to convert from one to other. Ours is 10-12 years old, and still cooks even with B&S engine.

For a premium job, we will aerate, let cores dry a day or two, then slit seed in a crosshatch diamond pattern, going half rate with seed in each direction. Seed to soil contact is the main ingredient for success. If you have inclines you may have to rake or lightly topdress the bottom dip of the hill.

----------
Jim
North central Indiana

#8 ·
Just went to Turfco Direct looks like the LS-20 with 5.5 Honda goes for 1725.00 does this sound like its in the ball park.Also would like to hear from others on what equip.they are using and what are you charging for overseeding.Do any of you light roll after an overseed job,that soil to seed thing!Thanks

G
#9 ·
I agree that many lawns could benefit from overseeding. According to recommeddations from some universities, the proper steps to renovate a lawn are as follows; Core areate, de-thatch, fill in low spots with topsoil, slice seed in 2 directions, fertilize, mulch bare areas.

Doing all these steps involves much equipment and labor. Many times good results can be had by simply spreading the seed, ans skipping the slice seeding. Sure slice seeding gives great seed to soil contact.

With the expense of the overseeder, and also the additional labor to run the machine twice over the lawn, this puts the renovation above many budgets.

I'd love to have a slice seeder to do the renovations properly, but I can't justify the cost of the machine when my prices will be higher than the market.

As far as power washers go, get the largest that you can afford. I have a little 3.5 hp sears unit that I use for cleaning my equipment and things around the house. I would definatly want a much larger unit if I were going to try to be productive to make a profit with one. For my use, the little one is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.