Overseeding During Mowing Season - Help

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Joana Williams, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

Hello All,

We live in New York, Long Island.

We are currently going to be offering Dethatching, Aeration, Overseeding & Compost dressing to our customers around the third week of September, before all the leaves start coming down.

We usually get away with mowing all the way through October, the weather here has been very weird these past few years.

Anyways; I was wondering if we do this, how do we continue to mow their properties? Should we wait 2 weeks after all the work done and then mow?

Thanks!

2. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I've overseeded with rye and fescue on warm season turf. I try to go easy on the lawn for a few weeks after seeding. Only problem area is where the mower turns. Doesn't seem to bother the new grass otherwise.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

My current practice is to cut the grass .5" lower at the time of seeding and aerating. Depending on conditions, I may cut it the next week but more likely skip a week or two. Grass is very tender when it first comes up. If the property is irrigated it is good for the homeowner to shut the system off for a couple of days so the sol is dryer and firmer when it is cut. Then, they can resume irrigation as before.

JFGLN and hort101 like this.