Overseeding New Patchy Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Ralph greengrass, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Ralph greengrass

Ralph greengrass LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old lawn after clearing trees and establishing with a basic kbg, fine fescue, rye lawn in Connecticut. I posted here a month back about a battle with brown patch. I bought a drought tolerant seed mix from a seed store with 50 percent kbg, 25 viking rye and 25 deschutes rye, all twca certified.

Plan is to cut down to 2 inches and bag. Then dethatch and rake. Hand rake out diseased areas. Then aerate, spread, fertilize, lime, and roll. The water in.

I'll hit with a fungicide in the late spring, along with dimension and fertilizer.

I've read quite a bit on here but wanted to see if this is the plan to turn my lawn for good. Thoughts?

ltdlawn likes this.
  2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Gold Member

I’d say you read enough:clapping:

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I found "Viking" hard fescue.
    http://vistaseedpartners.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Viking-H2O-Hard-Fescue-Tech-Sheet.pdf

And Descheutes Perennial rye.
    http://vistaseedpartners.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Deschutes-Perennial-Ryegrass-Tech-Sheet.pdf

Your plan sounds good to me. I would not do the lime without a soil test that showed the need. Unless you have compacted soil possibly you could skip the aeration.
    Add starter fertilizer. Then vertical mow or power rake. Spread seed, power rake again to mix the seed with the soil. Then water every day for 30 days. More fertilizer at week 3 and 6.
    Hurry, before the weather and soil temperature cool off. Medium temperatures are about right--less fungus problems than in hot weather.
    I suggest using 10 pounds of seed per 1000 sqft. Research at Iowa State University showed that generous amounts of seed results in much greater thickness of the resulting grass.
    Do you have pictures?
    Can you show us the results?

You mentioned clearing trees--be sure you have enough sunlight--four hours per day is usually enough.

4. OP
    OP
    Ralph greengrass

5. OP
    OP
    Ralph greengrass

Yes, my soil is slightly acidic and I have a lot of pine bordering the lawn. I have 50 lbs for approx 8000 ft2 so the ratio is about right. Will take before and after pics. Thanks for the tip re fertilizer at 3 and 6 weeks. Planning to work this saturday and keep kids off lawn for a while. Thanks for all your help.

6. OP
    OP
    Ralph greengrass

Mowed to 3" this am. will mow to 2" and bag tomorrow before I start. Here are the before pictures.

20190906_072044.jpg

20190906_072053.jpg

20190906_072038.jpg

20190906_072038.jpg

20190906_072032.jpg