1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

overseeding sparse lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ccorts, Sep 24, 2002.

1. ccorts

ccorts LawnSite Member

I applied a weed killer several weeks ago and this has added to an area in my yard that is very sparse of grass. I applied milorganite in early spring but I am having difficulty getting grass to grow thick in certain areas. Would areating the yard, then applying a heavy top seeding over this help? Is there a type of areation that would work beter than others? Would you apply a fertilizer over this now? I am in Michigan and cool days will soon prevail. How deep does one areate? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

I had a few bare-spots on a slope, I use a 'plug - style' or 'core-type' aerator. I feels these aerators perform better by physicaly removing a finger-size piece of soil to counter compaction, aid watering and in this instance, hopefully provide a place for the seeds to get 'stuck'.
    If the areas are fairly small you can rake them up a bit to give the seeds a bed.
    Usually September or spring are the best times for overseeding.