Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone owes money, let's say, $550 for services or a debt. if this individual sends a check for $350 and in the memo part writes, " 2008 service paid in full", and i cash it, is the debt cleared?

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I have read, it depends on the laws in your state or jurisdiction (france?). Some have laws that state the memo line is a legal way to alter a contract and by cashing it, you agree to the terms. Others do not recognize it as a legally binding agreement. To be safe, you'd eitehr have to consult an attorney or return the check and demand a new check without the limitation or better yet, payment in full.

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
here,...it doesn't satisfy the debt. Also,...why are we discussing the same subjects you have brought up years ago? remember? We discussed this, and someone brought up the fact that if that was the case, we could write a check for a car payment, put that on the memo, and then the car would be paid for.
With all due respect, - and please don't take this the wrong way,...because I mean nothing bad by it,...but if you want to present these little "dilemmas" for people to ponder on,...we need some new material. :)

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here,...it doesn't satisfy the debt. Also,...why are we discussing the same subjects you have brought up years ago? remember? We discussed this, and someone brought up the fact that if that was the case, we could write a check for a car payment, put that on the memo, and then the car would be paid for.
With all due respect, - and please don't take this the wrong way,...because I mean nothing bad by it,...but if you want to present these little "dilemmas" for people to ponder on,...we need some new material. :)
there are more new faces around here, than familiar ones. the new "material" shall come, from within.

·
Registered
551 Posts
someone owes money, let's say, $550 for services or a debt. if this individual sends a check for $350 and in the memo part writes, " 2008 service paid in full", and i cash it, is the debt cleared?
Not in CT.
Show your attorney the check, and the bill.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Here we go again, back to the pages of garbage that has been gone for awhile. It was nice while it lasted. I really hope that this does not keep up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Here we go again, back to the pages of garbage that has been gone for awhile. It was nice while it lasted. I really hope that this does not keep up.
Oh come on. This could be a fun ride. But Bobby. You really should come up with some new material. Hell, youse oughta have a ton of it since youse moved from Joisy.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this is actually a serious thread. a friend of mine had a client who owed him 5+. the client sent a check for $350 w/the "paid in full" thing. the guy deposited the check. an attorney told him that by cashing it, he agreed to settle the debt for the $350. attorneys have been known to be full of crap. but i figured, let me try this. i sent in my 2nd qutr sales tax pmt. i shorted them $300. in the memo part i wrote " 2nd qutr 2008 sales tax paid in full". they cashed it. i wonder if i'll be required to send the balance/ ?

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I'm just curious why, in the other thread, customers in France are paying you in dollars...that should have been a red flag right there...:laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.