1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Painting dump truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dkflipse, Mar 11, 2020.

1. dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

I'm having a welder repair a bunch of rust issues. Need to then give it a paint job. But not crazy about spending a ton of $$. Any DIY tips? I'm gonna paint the entire bed.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I once painted my old GMC dump bed using black Rustoleum in spray cans. I believe it took about 14 cans, and one of those "spray triggers" you can purchase for cans of spray paint. I also used some old moving blankets to cover the truck cab, which was white.Took me a whole afternoon, but looked good and was way cheaper than having a paint shop do it. Just be sure and pick a fairly calm day if you do it outside like I did. Wind is not your friend.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. SilverPine

SilverPine LawnSite Member

With mine, I would first wire wheel the surface. Then I would brush on the paint. 2 coats. I would do this once a year. Original dump box lasted 17 years. It seen alot of salt as it was the truck used to fill bins. Needless to say it seen its share of patches.

Cam15, Mdirrigation and hort101 like this.
  4. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

We use an hvlp sprayer. Works great

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

. I had a lot better luck rolling on the Rustoleum liquid paint and then using the cans to spray the places you couldn’t roll. And the liquid is a better value.

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

This and use those little 4 inch foam rollers. Sometimes I will thin the paint just a little bit

hort101 likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Id do this or bedliner paint:weightlifter:

Cam15 likes this.
  8. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

Prior to painting, neutralize the rust with phosphoric acid.

Many years ago I had a Datsun pickup which was developing extensive rust in the bed. I used a product called Rust Mort, made by SEM, prior to applying paint. I never saw rust in the bed again even though I had the truck for proably another 10 years. I have used a couple of other products that make claims to stopping rust, but none of them worked like the Rust Mort. The active ingredient is phosphoric acid. You might have similar results at less cost with a generic phosphoric acid.

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

Thanks all. Rustoleum is available by the gallon as well?

hort101 likes this.
  10. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great results by rolling on oil based paint (Rustoleum or others).