Painting poly tank

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
Couple older a spray I have.. you know how the tanks looks orange yellowish color... has anyone ever painted them? Or maybe even wrapping them? Be a nice spot to advertise my company logo and make the unit look better then the dingy faded orange color......

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
The older tanks weather and the surface is no longer slick. I think you can paint it.
On the other hand--a sign shop will be happy to make vinyl decals if you want to put your name or initials on the side of your tank. In addition to your logo, I mean.
Take advantage of the many square inches of free real estate to set up your traveling billboard.

OP
W

woodlawnservice

LawnSite Bronze Member
The older tanks weather and the surface is no longer slick. I think you can paint it.
On the other hand--a sign shop will be happy to make vinyl decals if you want to put your name or initials on the side of your tank. In addition to your logo, I mean.
Take advantage of the many square inches of free real estate to set up your traveling billboard.

Painted it last night, decals come today...

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
If we're talking polyethylene, yes, it holds paint better after a few years of chalking in the sun, as opposed to when it is new. Still, plastic adhesion promoters may help (and are an absolute necessity on new plastic). I've had decent luck with Krylon Fusion. Car bumper paint would be the gold standard. The if the surface is rough enough, latex paint may even stick, though it's more likely to peel after time. Just stay away from Rustoleum or any oil based paint, or even regular Krylon. They're all too brittle, and will crack as the plastic bends.

As for vinyl, I think it will adhere best to either new plastic, or paint. I'd be concerned about vinyl sticking to rough chalky oxidized plastic.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Will come once done.
Process I used...
Sanded
Adhesion promoter
Primer
Krylon fusion
Clear coat....
We shall see!
Sounds like you're on the right track. I've had good luck with Sem adhesion promoter. It's usually sold in places that carry automotive paint. What did you pick?

Krylon fusion is supposed to work direct to plastic without primer. You did use a primer meant for plastic, right? Same thing goes for the clear, because you need something flexible.