• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Palm tree care

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Palm trees are not a common plant material in Little Rock, but they seem to do well in the landscapes I’ve seen.

I have no experience with palms. A client has about 10 very tall palm trees that have been in the ground for a couple of years.

where’s a reputable source of information that would help me? Are there unique nutritional needs they require to flourish? Water requirements? Pest problems? Pruning schedule?

I know many of you live in areas where these are endemic. I’d appreciate your input.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
Palm trees are not a common plant material in Little Rock, but they seem to do well in the landscapes I’ve seen.

I have no experience with palms. A client has about 10 very tall palm trees that have been in the ground for a couple of years.

where’s a reputable source of information that would help me? Are there unique nutritional needs they require to flourish? Water requirements? Pest problems? Pruning schedule?

I know many of you live in areas where these are endemic. I’d appreciate your input.
I don’t do anything to palms except removal of dead fronds and flowers/fruit. Never touch the very center new growth. If cut that area the tree will die. You should start by identifying the palm type. Sago palms can have all fronds removed and most likely where you are the winter would turn all of the brown. They sprout back fairly quickly.

RussellB

LawnSite Fanatic
I would remove all of those lower drooping fronds just to clean them up. The tall one close to the house looks like a Washingtonian palm. Pretty sure the other tall one is a Palmetto palm. Treat them the same. The ones along the sidewalk (name skipped my mined) just keep the fronds out of the way and off the house if that’s what the homeowner prefers (thats what I do). Nice looking place.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
A client sent these pics to me — she likes this look. Plants I come up with include yucca, euphorbia, Carex, red yucca, red hot poker.

what other plant materials can you think of? Zone 7b
2080A120-025B-450D-B1A7-DCA852EF4277.png
32D6D4BE-53F5-4287-AFF9-DD059EC6B144.png
B7EA1005-8F1B-4702-829B-C5750C143955.png
608AD29F-556F-477F-9E24-665D4C0CD43B.png

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Dang. I meant to start this as a new thread!

But this is the same client with the palm trees in the original photos.

My plan would be to keep the beds next to the house very minimalist. The beds on the perimeter of the property would allow more whimsy.

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
@RussellB , back to the palm care. What are their water requirements? I control the sprinkler system of this home and don’t want to hurt the trees. Once established, are they drought tolerant? Most of the other plant types she likes are drought tolerant.