Palm Tree Question

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by Bigg-Lenny, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Bigg-Lenny

Bigg-Lenny LawnSite Member

This customer wants me to remove all of her fronds so that her trees can start over next spring. The main question is do these trees need more water,...or are they being overwatered? She has a sprinkler system that has one zone that waters these three trees and some other smaller shrubs. I’m trying to figure out what to program her timer to. She’s been watering them manually by turning her solenoid on and off twice a week. But I don’t know exactly for how long. Temperatures have started declining, so it’s not 110+ anymore. It’s been around 100 or so durin the day, and 60s-low 70s at night. How long and how often should he trees be watered.

6F666FE9-50EA-48EC-9672-07285098E122.jpeg 74FE5BB1-A25F-4CD0-A212-C1F5E7F820A6.jpeg 01A8F9F0-28B4-4B08-A74B-5F76D5148CAA.jpeg

2. get-n-by

get-n-by LawnSite Member

This tree most likely has Furserium wilt. A commonly spread disease in palm the last 5yrs. It just pops up out of nowhere . A palm this size does not need much water.(unless it was just planted) I would recommend to cut off all the brown prawns and see if it rejuvenates any new growth. But with my experience seeing palms like this . They die and rot from the center top. It will stick to high heaven !! The hole block will smell it. So if you do not get any new prawn activity in a month or so. Get rid of it fast. JMOP

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Bigg-Lenny

Gotcha. The owner wanted all of the prawns cut off, to “start over” for next spring. The majority of them were still green. There was only two prawns on all three trees that were dead. So that’s what I did. Will definitely keep an eye on it. I hope that survives, for my sake, lol.

4. get-n-by

get-n-by LawnSite Member

I hear you ! It could just be the lighting and the pic. But they do look terrible . Rule of thumb is take ONLY the brown frowns . But I see tree guys take all but the last years growth ring often here in Florida. I would suggest to always snap a pic of any questionable plant or tree. Prior to cutting on it and a close up of foliage. It is a practice I have done for many years. Only because of an accusation of killing a row of shrubs. It saved my tail in court !! It proved the plants were hit with frost damage and the prop owner had to pay her bill + late fee + court cost + a day labor cost =

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Bigg-Lenny

I didn’t get any closeup pics. But it was specific about removing them in the estimate that she approved before I did the job. I always take before and after pics. I also never commit to a job with being approved “in writing.” I don’t care if it’s an official estimate, email, or text messages. That’s the only way I will start them. I actually spoke with an employee at Ewing this morning. Those trees are not getting enough water. They are getting the same amount of water that her 1’-2’ shrubs are getting. And that’s 1gph once or twice a week. Tomorrow I’m gonna I’m gonna make some changes to her drip line. She has too many emitters that are just watering the rocks. Some of those small shrubs have both 1 and 2gph emitters. I know for sure that the biggest Palm has a single 1gph emitter a couple of feet away from it. Then her timer needs to be reprogrammed so that she’s not having to manually turn the valve on.

6. get-n-by

get-n-by LawnSite Member

I have never been a big fan of drip irrigation for residential watering . Unless it is the the brown emitter hoses. This maybe a great application area for this palm.If you have never used it. You would pull back the gravel and coil the hose around the palms root ball. Spacing the hose 12-16" apart and cover it back up with rock or mulch. It allows for a deep soaking of the root ball. Most Irrigation supply companies sale it and I have recently seen it a Home depot. Good luck to you