panels for leaf box

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
It's getting to be that time of year when I begin thinking about Fall! I have a good ol' leaf box made with 2x4s and plywood. But it's pretty rickety and I'd like to construct a better one for this season. Playing around with the idea of a steel or aluminum frame. Looking for ideas for the panels- maybe aluminum sheets, roofing, IDK! The idea would be to minimize weight on the truck, as well as give a really nice appearance. I like to base the design loosely on a chipper truck box look. Really sharp.
Even if I just make the frame out of 2x4s again, I'd still be looking for another option (other than plywood) for the panels.
Anyone been there, done that? Thankz

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
If you are poor like me then you can only dream of owning a Truckcraft insert with the optional leaf box attachment for your pickup.

If you are not poor then go and buy one. Because most people can not build one as good.

OP
peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
aluminum studs might work. Then Truck is a F250. The Truckcraft box is sweet, but a bit out of my price-range!

Deererunner

LawnSite Senior Member
I have aluminum diamond plate walls bolted to my dump trailer for leaf season and then a mesh tarp on top for venting. Works great and very low maintenance.

image.jpg

Ethanslawn

LawnSite Senior Member
i just bought a 1 ton dump and what im planning on is have cross bows out of pvc conduit or metal conduit with a mesh tarp over the top. I have a local canvas shop who does the framing and makes the tarp for like $1000-1200 which is a little much for my little operation.

OP
peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
That diamond plate is the coolest thing man! Bit out of my price-range though. Ethanslawn, Would the sides be strong enough that they don't bow out with a full load of leaves?

Ethanslawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I was going to have couples at the side pieces. Straight side pieces with 45° connectors and I the bow just bent. And the side pieces clamped to sides and bungees holding the tarp down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums