1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Parents won't listen!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 18, 2000.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag48,<br>Have your parents read &quot;Direct from DELL&quot;. When a high school student, the young soon to be billionare Michael Dell, made more money than his teachers...selling newspaper subscriptions. His parents sent him off to college, which he soon dropped out of when he was getting $50,000/mo.in computer orders.<p>This is a different industry but the entrepreneur in you is to be applauded, and encouraged. Dell didnt listen to his parents, and his parents are probably proud he didnt.<p>Stay in school, buy cheap equipment that allows you to achieve the financal goals to grow your biz-attend college or both.

2. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

My first blower was an Echo PB-1000 & it cost $35 at an auction in 1994. I still have it for a backup. I used it for the 1st 2 yrs. I had it, then moved up to a stihl.<br>I also got a $160 Stihl blower (bg72) at an auction last summer for $90. Still had the shipping tags & instructions on it (used once) & it even had a vac bag & suction tube with it! $90 for a $215 value. Love them auctions; I also make sure everything that I speculate on at an auction is tried out before I buy it.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I might be a redneck...but, Let's see, you said you only have two months left in the season, so buy a blower from Home Depot then take it back after the two months saying you're not satisfied. Been there done that..Pay cash, they won't have your name on file for next time.

4. plymouthvaliant73

plymouthvaliant73 LawnSite Member

It seems to me that your parents ARE listening to you. They're not agreeing with you. Mom is busting her butt to help you out. Dad just does not want to finance you. So? It's his money. He earned it. Now you earn your own. Are you going to be a business MAN or just some kid cutting grass? Here's an idea: ask your customers to finance you. They pay you up front. You buy the equipment you need and pay off the loan doing the work.

5. OP
    OP
    Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

plymouth-you hit the nail right on the head. My mom wants to help me she just doesn't want me to buy anything. Dad doesn't want to finanace me. Thats fine, but if I have all the money I just put into the bank, I'd have a blower right now. Dad is screwing me both ways. No finance and no money.

6. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

So...do what I did when I was younger...don't tell them how much or what you're making...and stuff it under your mattress! :) Now before others bash me....it's just a thought. I guess I am condoning bad familial relations, but &quot;what thou shalt not know shalt not hurt thee&quot; is my motto.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Run away from home and join the circus. Hey just an idea. Get you another parttime job that doesn't require so much of an investment and be sure to go to college. Or you will be spelling like most of us.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what I did when I was your age-ran away and joined the circus. Got a job there circumcising the elephants. Pay was lousy but the tips were big ;)<p>Bill

9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Scag48,<p>This may help. At a home cheapo near me, they have a rack with reconditioned power equipment on it. It is stuff that people bought, had a problem with, returned and repaired by a mechanic certified in that brand. The equipment is sold for about 50% off new and carries the same warranty. Last year i bought an Echo 2100 trimmer for $125 (200+ new) and Echo 30&quot; gas hedge trimmers for $150 (I think they are around 300) and they are both working fine. My only regret is that I didn't buy the 16&quot; Echo chainsaw. I was back this week and they had an echo 4600 backpack. Most of the equipment is homeowner brand, but I always check. They have more toward the end of the summer.....so get lookin. And good luck to you.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

Oh ya, forgot to mention. Try to stop your ma from helping you. Not a healthy thing going on there. Next thing you know she will be coming along on your hunnymoon. Telling your wife how to take care of her baby etc.