Parents won't listen!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scag48, Jul 18, 2000.

1. OP
    OP
    Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Charles-Why would I do that? It helps me out and I don't have to pay her so it's not that bad. The only reason she helps me is because she would be pretty bored just sitting in the truck.

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Scag, this deal with your mother is too weird. One day you may want to be independent from your mother. And she will be hurt when you dump her. "it helps you" Well does the world revolve around you? You mother waste her day ridng you around for no pay? She needs a life of her own. I have never seen a mother around here doing this for any lawn care person ever. Don't you think of anyone beside yourself? Oh ya I forgot you being so courteous for letting her get out of the truck lol

3. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Scag-<p>Had the same problem when I was younger. And even though I'm 23 now and moved out of the house mom still has her OPINION!! They try to control you when your younger and they can. Why? Because &quot;we provide the roof over your head.&quot; <p>My point: Tell mom that you no longer need her help although you really appreciate it. This will allow you to make the collections from your customers without her and pop knowing how much your making. Take some of the $ and stash it and only put a smaller portion in the bank.. <p>I went along with their ideas when I was at home and went to college and got a degree and the whole nine yards. Now that I'm on my own I buy what I want, when I want and Tell them everything that I buy.. Just to turn the tables a little..<p>Good luck, although it sometimes seems like pushing a zero-turn up a 100ft hill..<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers

4. OP
    OP
    Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Charles-She doesn't drive me around all day, just for a couple of hours. The only reason she helps is because she is bored. I don't just think of myself. You can ume that but until I've told you that, you'll never know. I think if I told her not to, that would probably hurt her alot more than telling her no in 2 years. My mom does have a life of her own and that life can be pretty hectic so when she gets the chance to help me with 2 or 3 jobs, she takes the chance. It's not like she is doing a whole bunch of stuff anyway. She just moves a couple of s out of my way. I don't know why you think this is &quot;too weird&quot;. It's not that weird at all. Just my opinion but I don't think you should say that the world revolves around me. I don't think that at all about anyone. I don't think you should jump to conclusions about people. Unless you know me as well as my friends do, you can't ume anything.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am just raggin you Scag. I don't care whether your mama helps you or not. Big mistake to tell a bunch of guys your ma is helping u at all.:)

6. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

There is nothing wrong with having a family member help out. Only in your case I don't think that it helps your argument. You are trying to convince your parents to let you run your business your way. To prove to them that you are serious you need to do one of two things 1) leave your mother at home or 2) pay her a salary.

7. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

<p><font size="1">Edited by: cutting edge

8. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

You're 23. 1)Buy a redmax hand blower from www.alamia.com for $200. It will last 10 years, and has lots of power. AS far as mixing oil, as you get busier, you will like that more than having to change oil. I wish every motor I had was 2 stroke. 2)Tell your mother Thankyou for the help. 3) When this mowing season is over, take a trip to utah for a month. It is time to make decisions with your life. If you wan't to start a legit lawn business, when you get back, go all out, and be the best. My advice would be college, but that is not for everyone.<br>I am on my second lawn business now. Sold the whole 9 yard 2 years ago, being fed up with BS. Am back in it again going strong, at 3 times what it was before. It is possible to sell if you want out. But, if you want to do this....DO THIS .. no in between. Best of luck. Enjoy the growing.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Grasscape Inc

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag. THere is always a way to get teh things you need. Pops obviously is not to behind your little business venture. Look else where. When I first started out I asked dear old Gramps. He co signed my truck and gave me money for equipment and I pay it off little by little. Now I have so much stuff I don't have room to keep it. I agree with some of the others and saying that you should by cheap equipment now and get the good stuff later. So what if a craftsman last one year, it pays for itselfin a day!! Save your money, because as we all know equipment isn't cheap. I just got a Shindaiwa back pack it was over $500. Save your money!! Between echo and stihl I would go with shindaiwa!!!

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

just thought i'de stir the pot a little

what's mom and dad think about all of it now?