Part time business on South Shore Massachusetts

cpmac822

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone,

Currently I am a local contractor on the south shore MA. I have 14 lawn mowing accounts that all get cleanups in the fall and spring. Im debating on adding some more accounts, a hydroseeding business, and an excavation business. I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar business like the one outline above.

My problem is I currently have a good job that pays 50k a year and has been giving me mega raises each year, 10K + the past two. Im not all about the money, but I want to make sure if I do leave my job I can gross more than 115k a year. Does anyone out there do that/willing to share their methods and how to’s ?

Thanks!

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
How much are you grossing currently mowing? It's a pretty decent leap going from part time 14 lawns and a fulltime job to grossing 100k while maintaining fulltime job. Unless you work 24hr shifts at your job.

OP
C

cpmac822

LawnSite Member
Im debating on leaving the full time all together. I currently get all my accounts from facebook. Not sure if anyone has any recommendations for other lead sites. I currently gross 4k a month mowing lawns on the side. Just wondering if I would be able to make what Id make here at my company at peak in my current role. Frankly, owning my own business would be a lot better than working for someone else. As far as account types... I do mostly residential with (1) home owners association. I also maintain job sites for a developer in the area.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Do you have a website or FB page for your biz? You'll need to ramp up your Google presence as quick as possible, but it still takes time.

You'll make more for time invested doing the excavation type work than just mowing.

@rclawn care to chime in?

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Haha I’m honored you would invite my advice @Youngandfree . I agree 100% for a solo guy mowing is a rat race to the bottom at least around here. You can gross 4K in a couple days if you have a mini skid loader... what kind of experience do you have doing work other than mowing?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Haha I’m honored you would invite my advice @Youngandfree . I agree 100% for a solo guy mowing is a rat race to the bottom at least around here. You can gross 4K in a couple days if you have a mini skid loader... what kind of experience do you have doing work other than mowing?
Don't tell him about your side hustle flipping Rolex watches. :D

I know you run a mini skid solo and do pretty well at it as you've told us. Higher margin work is always better.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey everyone,

Currently I am a local contractor on the south shore MA. I have 14 lawn mowing accounts that all get cleanups in the fall and spring. Im debating on adding some more accounts, a hydroseeding business, and an excavation business. I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar business like the one outline above.

My problem is I currently have a good job that pays 50k a year and has been giving me mega raises each year, 10K + the past two. Im not all about the money, but I want to make sure if I do leave my job I can gross more than 115k a year. Does anyone out there do that/willing to share their methods and how to’s ?

Thanks!
Don't forget to take into consideration any benefits your current job provides.
And weigh that against the cost of equipment you will need.

atb1137

LawnSite Member
I had a business from 2010 to 2014 and was in the same situation. I had a good job with benefits and did 32 accounts part time with snow removal. I was at the point where i was ready to jump full time but was worried about getting enough work to go full and i let people talk me into staying at my current job. i ended up selling off the business. Not a day goes by that i dont think about that mistake i made from at least giving the lawn biz a shIll be honest and say im sure ive made more money working for the corporation im at but at the end of the day im not happy with the job. And thats why im now back here looking to start all over again. If you enjoy it i would go for it. This place is filled with some great info and people that will give better advice

Top Forums