• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Part Time Jobs?

JMiller08

LawnSite Senior Member
What kind of workload can you guys handle on top of your lawn biz? What kind of other jobs do you guys have? How many lawn accounts and misc work do you do?

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
I am a rep for a nationwide gas station and convenience store chain, it helps when the lawn money isnt there in winter, but there are those months(like feb.) where they do not have anything going on, and I dont have to visit any of my stores til next month!! So this months income will suck, but hopefully we will be back to mowing around mid march???

Plus in spring and summer when I am slammed with mowing, I give the other rep most of my gas station route, it helps her out as she is always looking for more hours and it works for me cause there is no way Id be able to do both in May or June!!! It is really not enough though to sustain all my bills in the winter. I really wish it would stay warm here year round!

Manscape

LawnSite Member
My buddy has a local family owned market...Get as many hrs. as they'll give me in the winter, and work nights in the summer. The winters are a little depressing, but a little money is better than no money.

green_with_envy

LawnSite Member
My business is full time. I save money in the summer to last the winter. I do plow which has been great this year. But for the most part I just do office work, estimates, some lighting if the ground is soft enough, and sit home and get fat.

brianslawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
im working in a factory for 20yrs and the last 16 on 3rd shirt. my company sold out 15yrs ago and i started cutting grass because we didnt know if we had a job. so i stayed with the business and my wife started with me 3yrs ago. we currently do 50 yards a week along with all the other extras. and its hard on the kids ( 13& 17 yrs old) because of the summer vacation, but we usually take them camping or to the water parks on the weekend. i have too much invested to quit now. im hopeing the kids will take over soon. i love to be outside doing this work but i cant justify leaving my main job with 20yrs service 4 weeks vacation, 5 sick days a overtime when i want plus bennies. maybe some day i can retire early and just mow grass, fish and hunt!!!!

WHIPPLE5.7

LawnSite Senior Member
I've been wanting extra work but I can't find anything that pays enough to make it worth doing plus I do snow removal and when it snows I have to be on top of that. Right now employers are offering less money and treating people worse than ever because they know there is 100 people waiting for the position if you mess up. I remember when I joined the Air Force more than 10 years ago many career fields were getting big bonuses because they were low on people, these days they turn away 90% because meeting their quotas is cake now that millions of jobs have vanished.