1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

part time to full time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skurkp, Jun 6, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I have been in short grass business now for a few seasons and stay pretty busy. I work full time for a company doing industrial maintenance. I have recently been having to turn down work, which I don't enjoy doing. My wife has become very much involved in the company and has been telling me that I need to quit my full time job and work for the company full time. We are currently invoicing around $4500 per month for just weekend work and this is with no extras such as irrigation installs or service work. I have gotten quotes on health insurance and I can cover my family for 70 more per month that I am currently paying at my full time job. I am wondering at what point if you have did you decide to work for yourself full time. I am really tire of the two job thing and my wife tells me all the time I am never home and she would like to see me more often. I really feel that if I work for myself I can become much larger than I am now. The idea I know is to grow and have several crews, but the jump is a scary one.

2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I know the feeling you are in. I'm in the same boat. However if I was invoicing 4500 a month it wouldn't be near as hard. I am at about 2200 a month in just mowing not any fert and squirt. I am going to make the leap next spring.

3. Lawn Works

Lawn Works LawnSite Member

Same here. I'm an operations director for a large outdoor retail center. I clear about $3000 a month working evenings and weekends. My wife helps out and actuall likes riding the ZTR mowers. I figure that I can pay off my equipment this year and by this time next year go full time. SCARY but business is good and I have had to turn down jobs as well.