Partner"ships" that didn't sink

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
I see so many questions about partnerships and majority of replies are they don't float, but certainly there are ones that are successful. Do you have any or heard of any that were successful, specifically in the landscape and lawn maintenance area?

JMK26

LawnSite Fanatic
Kelly's landscaping...he hasn't been on since last year....

He has a partner, each of them do their own "solo" route...

seems like it works for them.

Like I said he hasn't been on since last year but search his posts...he's explained it a few times. I don't know if he gets into much detail about it..

TX Easymoney

LawnSite Platinum Member
it typically goes like this: two guys go into business together and one decides he will handle the business end of things while the other goes out and does the work- mid summer or thereafter, the guy out in the sun realizes he can do it all himself and they have a disagreement and part ways.....then we all get a bunch of newish equipment on the cheap--
repeat over and over---
OR ... I mow a few yards on the side and want to find someone to work for me (run my business for $12-$15/hr) while I'm at my day job--- worker does it for a time and realizes he could go and mow a few jobs on his own and why does he need you---
or variations of similar--

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
I own 2 companies. My lawn company is a partnership. My other business is not.

Finding the right partner is key. It's like a marriage. You're not going to agree on everything. You'll need to compromise. You'll need to respect each other. Your focus needs to be singular. Your goals, work ethic and personal integrity must align.

Finding a partner with different primary skills than your own is very helpful. I'm the salesman & structure guy. My partner is the maintenance guy. We both put in long hours. Sometimes one of us works longer than the other. That's ok. It evens out.

Most partnerships with small businesses seem to fail. Generally there isn't a good plan from the get go. Fail to plan, plan to fail. Key roles need to be established.

I can go on and on about this. It CAN work very well. It takes work to make it work well.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
I own 2 companies. My lawn company is a partnership. My other business is not.

Finding the right partner is key. It's like a marriage. You're not going to agree on everything. You'll need to compromise. You'll need to respect each other. Your focus needs to be singular. Your goals, work ethic and personal integrity must align.

Finding a partner with different primary skills than your own is very helpful. I'm the salesman & structure guy. My partner is the maintenance guy. We both put in long hours. Sometimes one of us works longer than the other. That's ok. It evens out.

Most partnerships with small businesses seem to fail. Generally there isn't a good plan from the get go. Fail to plan, plan to fail. Key roles need to be established.

I can go on and on about this. It CAN work very well. It takes work to make it work well.
reason I ask is because I want to hire a helper for next year. I know a guy who basically only doing cleanup's and works with the tools he can put in his car and that's exactly what he advertises,and does good work from what I see. Earlier this year he said he has a full schedule but once he asked me if I needed any help cause he was done for the week. I passed him today going to one of my accounts and he says his schedule is open cause I might get him to help me with a few landscape projects. He doesn't have an LLC or a DBA that I can find and I don't think he is insured. I even once mentioned subbing work to him but I would need a W9 and said he didn't want to go through that just yet.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just hire him when you need him. No need to dip your company pen into this guy's bit of ink. Sounds like you just need some help not a business partner.

What does this guy have that would fit into your current business plan? What does he bring to the table besides what you could get from employee?
That's what I would like to do, but I seriously doubt he would go for that.