Partnerships

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jacob Hancock, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jacob Hancock

Jacob Hancock LawnSite Member

Okay so first off, what do you think about two people running a lawn company? good idea or bad and are any of you in a team partnership? Do you get paid 50/50 or different due to how much business one brings in over another? Im looking into it. Thank for the input!

2. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Just don't. I don't have personal experience with it, but I have seen other companies get torn apart by former best friends, and family members. Just use the search function on here to read some other horror stories.

Bcoogan23, sjessen, zraffz and 2 others like this.
  3. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Someone in a partnership will have the credit or money the other will have the drive to make money. The only partnership I've ever seen stand the test of time is me n my wife. I own the business but she's the boss lol. Seriously she's a great woman and I adore her. No she's not the boss she only does the book work. Most partnerships don't work over time. Greed tends to get in the way. If you have enough business to split all profits in half good for you. But when you or your partner have a disagreement and things go south. You won't be friends , partners or in business.

ShoresLawn likes this.
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

The collective agreement of lawnsite is that it's a very bad idea. I think there is one on here that makes it work, but they go out of their way to do so. In all my years on here, the number of people asking how to unwind a partnership vastly outnumber the handful that succeed.

This might help: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=site:lawnsite.com+partnership

5. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

Kelly's landscaping is the main guy here I can think of but it seems they both have equal drive and are both hard workers it seems. You won't always get that lucky with your partner.

With my wife and I it works because I answer phone calls, do billing and quotes, do the hard labour. She cooks and cleans, and does the designs, irrigation and has a lot of plant knowledge and way more experience than myself, customers like her etc.

Bcoogan23, hort101 and RDALawns like this.
  6. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Member

It doesn't work long term and kills friendships... Ask me how I know lol.

Bcoogan23 and RDALawns like this.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Dave Ramsey has said "The only ship that won't sail is a partnership."

8. Hudson03

Hudson03 LawnSite Member

Partnerships are exactly like a marriage. They take work but can be very beneficial and profitable. There are multiple items to discuss regardless of start up or merger/acquisitions. Salaries, job description, buy outs options, etc. The best thing to do is meet weekly to discuss everything that comes to mind and even consider hiring someone who specializes in partnership business structure.

Most people are against partnerships because they typically do fail; however, most fail due to pride.

9. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to find a guy that does treatments only and team up with them for the purpose of cross-referrals. Other than that, I have been a part of many discussions on this site about building and expanding a business and pretty much everyone agrees that it just more effort than it is worth because most people cannot compromise or get along when it comes down to it.

Jacob Hancock likes this.
  10. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member