1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Passenger tires on trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by thefed, Nov 17, 2007.

1. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

How does this work out? I just bought an abused trailer from someone on this site. It needs 4 tires.

Its a 16ft with (4) 15" rims. I'm looking at $320 installed for trailer tires vs. $200 for passenger tires.

The trailer will at most have 3 mowers on it at once, roughly 2500 lbs??? No mulch, no dirt.

Would the passenger tires suffice in this case? I imagine so, but am curious about your experiences!!

Im also curious about packing bearings....is this something a somewhat mechanically inclined person can do himself? Anywhere to find a tutorial???

Thanks!!

j

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Im not sure if weight would be an issue in your case, but wear from turning. I believe trailer tires have a harder rubber to slide in turns.

3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailer tires generally have more side wall belts on them than passenger tires which is important esp in tight turns. Go to any auto parts store and ask for a set of "buddy bearings". You simple take out the exsisting grease cover caps and knock these in with a hammer and a block of wood. They have an external grease zerk, so you don't need to pack the bearings anymore.

4. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i hear the bearing buddies do NOT replace a proper packing every once in a while, but prolongs the time frame between doing so?

5. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Yes passanger tires will work fine ive had those on my trailers for the past 5 yrs.

6. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes, this is true...

now if this was an OPEN trailer, and only 1 mower (or total 1000lbs or less) then i would say the pass would be ok, but if youre 1500+ dont do it..

7. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i just re-read what you said, dont try to save $120 this way...

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

The main thing is to start out with a properly packed bearing and then maintain it. If over greased, the seals in the back may blow. That is worse than not repacking them every so often. I made a 1200 mile trip with a utility trailer this spring. New bearings, seals, and tires. 60 to 70 MPH running. Checked the bearings every 4 hours for overheating. Greased once a day with the buddy bearings. No troubles the entire run.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

My trailer has a 7000 lbs gross and I've exceeded that, many times. Estimated miles on trailer 30,000. I grease the buddy bearings every other month. No probelms.

10. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

I get used passenger tires for my 16' trailer. $20 installed. Its all I run and I haven't had a problem since making the switch. If a tire blows and you have a spare you only lose 1/2 hour. Don't waist your money, buy used tires for your trailer.
    BTW I carry two 60" ztrs and a 36' walkbehind on my trailer.