1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Past due cutoff

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawncare3, Aug 21, 2006.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just wanted to know what your past due cutoffs are? I have a 10 day because I am tired of doing $#%^ for free. If it's someone I've had for quite sometime and have always paid ontime I dont worry as much. But these newbies this year are starting to piss me off. What's your .02?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First it's No check, No cut - Meaning if I don't get paid for the last cut, I don't show up again. Yup, only one cut is all you get.
    Then, it's 30 days, 55 / 60 / 65 days and then to the statute of limitations like so:
    30 days - Second bill with note 'prompt payment prevents late fee.'
    55 days - A terse letter letting them know the poop is about to hit the fan in quick succession so pay now or face the music.
    60 days - Third bill with $45 late fee and note 'prompt payment prevents legal action and collection and credit record issues'
    65 days - It's turned over to a collection agency.
    Then I wait, and if I never get paid IF in any 3 year period of time the amounts due add up to something considerable between the whole bunch, I take the whole lot to court, so it can come back on them even 1-2 or 3 years down the road.

Like yourself, tired of working for free.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I only work for folks willing to sign a contract.

I collect payment at the contract inception so I'm always paid ahead of time.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Even though in another thread I posted my biggest downfall is AR's, I have never cut anyone off in 13 years.