Patch or plug this tire?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JayinKs, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

Brand new mower so tires are obviously new. There is a small pin hole right at the tip of my finger. It's right at the edge of the lug. Would you patch or plug?

IMG_1230.JPG

2. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a puncture, plug it. If it's a slice, maybe a plug also if the slice is small.
    Never had too much luck with patches.
    Those tires move around a lot.
    Now that I notice it's a scag, that would be enough to scrap it and buy a Toro.

3. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

It is just a very tiny hole. No slice that I can see. About needle or pin size. Now that I think about it, not sure I should trust your judgement since you ride Red. Lol

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Plug it. Why aren't you running slime?

ltdlawn likes this.
  5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Ghostbusters got to it first that's why

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  6. pjm123a

pjm123a LawnSite Member
    from FL

I've got 2 SCAGs. Over the years I've tried plugs, patches, and slime with varying degrees of success. Sometimes the best solution short of a new tire is a tube. You can get them at Tractor Supply.

7. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

Patriot, I usually add a tire sealant once I begin to get wear on the tires and flats become more frequent, but when everything is new I just hate adding that stuff until I have to. IMO it's a kind of a mess but does work.

8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Look, just plug it with a good quality plug, I use Safety Seal brand. You'd be wise to invest in a Safety Seal plug kit, they can be pricey, but well worth it in the long run.
    The scarey part with pinholes is ya gotta ream it out bigger to accept the plug. Ya can't be skeered, jes do it !
    I would stay away from that slimey stuff at all costs !

Lotta places carry or can order Safety Seal plug kits, GOOGLE it.

9. JayinKs

JayinKs LawnSite Member

I have a plug kit. I have plugged a lot of tires but this one being where it is made me question it. I'm using the Black Jack plugs from NAPA.

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Well, then, yer good to go.
    I mean, I've plugged a slew of tires in the sidewall, and most all have held up.