1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Patio paver estimating help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Akprocter, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Akprocter

Akprocter LawnSite Member

I am looking for some advice about estimating patio paver construction. I am fairly new to the bidding process for this type of work. I am figuring around $4.00 sq ft for the materials (using Belgard Cambridge cobbles @ 1.75 Sq Ft). I am just not sure how to bid the prep and install portion. One of my suppliers said he heard that $10-12 per sq ft (total of $14-16 sq ft total w/ materials) was the going rate, but that seems a bit high to me. Any advice in this area would be extremely helpful. I would like to get the job but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either.

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your supplier have a competitor and can you check their prices?

Did you try looking here in the hardscape forum?

They can grumble a bit when you go in there, but they're harmless.
    And good information....they're full of it.

3. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

dont bid by the square foot. And I will tell you why. Type equipment photos into the search bar, and do the titles only. Look at ETWmans thread. Hes got a project going on doing a paver patio on a roof where materials need to be craned in etc etc. By the looks of it Id say the patio is in the 1000-1500 range. You need to sit down look at the job, what it requires, and then bid it from there. Because 1 job might be extremely difficult to access with machines, require a lot of cutting, lots of hand work, etc which might turn your sqft price into $20-25 or one where you have very few cuts, lots of space for machines, etc and could be at $12/sqft.

4. Akprocter

Akprocter LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been bidding my jobs to this point on an individual basis and it seems to work (for the most part). I always consider the accessibility and degree of difficulty of the job. I guess what I am looking for is a solid baseline as a launching point for my estimates. I haven't done many patios so I am not as good at looking at a job and estimating the time it takes to complete one so I figured if I had an idea of the average cost of installation I could get a better idea of what I should charge to be competitive and not lose my shirt.

5. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

you seem to be in the range in my area but there are tons of factors.

6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

its just simply to tough to come up with a base price on pavers. Each type of stone will run a different price. Even if your using unilock, one product line will run $2.40/sf and the other will run $4.00 per sqft. You need to just bid each job as it comes like you have. But if you have dont patios you should have a general idea on time, and be able to bid those jobs some what accurate.