Patio price

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by raish05, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM.

1. raish05

raish05 LawnSite Member

My neighbor wants me to install a patio for him he is supplying all material since he has a landscape supply yard. I have to dig it out ,base it ,and lay it. I was thinking on charging him 10.00 to 12.00 a sq ft. What do you guys think?

2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

Best to figure out how much time it will take you and then times by your hourly rate.

3. DonnieM22

DonnieM22 LawnSite Member

I've been in hardscape for 12 years and unfortunately, I've found that it is impossible to come up with a set $/sq. Ft. There are WAY too many variables. Someone who lives near the Appalachian mountains may have far rockier soil that someone who lives in the Midwest, making the excavation much more labor intensive. Is the patio going to be near any large trees? Have fun digging those roots out. Even if there are only small trees nearby, if you take out a couple main roots, you risk killing the tree. Are you going to be held responsible for the tree dying? If you live in Florida or even parts of Georgia, your soil is much sandier than the clay I deal with here in northeast Ohio meaning you have to excavate more and add more base. Also, what about the water content of the soil? If you are dealing with wet soil, you might need to put in a bottom layer of #1's & #2's and tamp them into the ground to better support your base layer that will lay over the top. The other reason I have found that $/sq ft doesn't work is because different materials vary drastically in price. I realize that you said he is buying the material, but is it going to be small pavers, flagstone, bluestone...etc. a well laid flagstone patio is much more difficult and takes more planning/visualization than say pavers. Also, if pavers, are they all the same size? Herringbone, flag, or circular lay? The pattern can add up to many extra hours depending on the size of the patio and difficulty of the lay. All of these factors can impact your price immensely. Not to mention, if doing flagstone or bluestone, do they want sand, polymeric sand, or mortor joints? Sorry but the more I do this, the more I realize that you cannot put a $/sq ft ratio together.

4. raish05

raish05 LawnSite Member

It's an apron for his garage so it's all gravel

5. DonnieM22

What materials are you using? Pavers, brick, etc.?

6. raish05

raish05 LawnSite Member

Either 4x6 ,6x6 or just a regular size brick paver

7. DonnieM22

Are you finishing with polymeric sand and are you going to seal them when finished?

8. raish05

raish05 LawnSite Member

Poly sand. He doesn't want them sealed.

9. DonnieM22

And how many square feet?

10. raish05

raish05 LawnSite Member

I didn't measure it yet I know it's 3 garage doors wide. I'm measuring it this week