• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Paver patio drainage solution?

conepile

LawnSite Member
I’m trying to determine the fix for a drainage problem on a client’s paver patio. This is an existing patio around a pool, which has a seating area that apparently floods in heavy rain, overflowing into the pool. The pavers are on top of a concrete patio, as it is part of the apron surrounding the pool (concrete must stay at least three feet around the pool). The area that floods is a low area, with a retaining wall in two directions, the pool in the opposite direction, and turf/bed in the last direction. I see the turf/bed area as the direction to send the water, as I can dig into it and get lower than the patio. The area is about 30’ x 20’.

My question is this: Short of demolishing the concrete (except for three feet) and putting in a proper base that is graded toward the turf area (where I could then install a catch basin or something like it), what would be a less expensive option to offer my client? I was considering taking up the pavers, cutting the concrete, and installing a channel drain that would be beneath the pavers, and would discharge into a 4” tile buried in the turf/bed area (this would then discharge at a point approximately twenty feet away, and one foot below the elevation of the concrete that is under the pavers). I realize that I am trying to mitigate flooding from a heavy rain, so I don’t think the space between the pavers is adequate for drainage in this situation. Putting a channel drain even with the surface of the pavers may be unsightly, though I wouldn’t rule it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to tackle the problem?