Paver Patio with no polymeric sand over winter

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mr. Midwest, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I have the majority of my paver patio laid and I'm torn if I should leave the polymeric sand out of the joints over winter. During fall i know it will hard to keep my joints dry for the install and overnight temps will be dropping below freezing. Have any of you left your pavers unsanded over winter and then sanded the joints in the spring? Do you see any issues with doing this?

Thanks in advance for sharing any experience or knowledge on this

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Polymeric sand isn’t 100 percent necessary
    It’s an extra nice touch
    More valuable on areas that are likely to have sheeting water or some sort of sand erosion (like a steep driveway)
    But in just a flat backyard patio, regular old sand will do the trick.

Normal sand in valuable in that it can be swept in when wet mich easier abs you’re not looking for that perfect dry day.
    You could sweep normal sand in now
    Let it settle over the winter and sweep more in, or too it off with polymeric in the spring

3. Mr. Midwest

This is just a flat backyard patio. The problem with using the sand is it will be a major pain to clean out for polymeric sand in the spring and i should have also mentioned that I have a open graded base. When sand is vibrated in there shouldn't be any more settling going on.

4. TPendagast

Male

You don’t have a 100% requirement for polymeric sand in your application
    So what I’m saying is you could choose to use regular sand
    You could put in less than required for the time being knowing you’re going to top off with polymeric in the spring

The sand just tightens joints
    If you’re not going to walk on it or use it much I don’t see any harm in finishing sand come spring

If there was going to be heavt Use or it for some reason, that would be a different story

5. Mr. Midwest

Got ya, it will have very minimal use over winter. The pavers are also slabs 7x14 14x14 and 21x14 so I think they will sit in place alot better than standard pavers as well.

6. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Structurally that may be all it does, but it has other advantages, such as preventing weeds and ants from getting into your joints.

He could sweep in some sand now, and top off with polymeric in the spring. He could try to blow out as much sand as possible with a backpack blower or a pressure washer (man is that going to be messy) to get the polymeric down to full depth too.

7. Mr. Midwest

My plan is to leave my joints empty unless someone has a horror story against it. Like you said it would be hard to get polymeric sand down to full depth.

8. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor LawnSite Senior Member

One note about sanding now and then applying poly sand in the spring. Poly sand needs to go the full depth of the paver, or close to it. It does not work as well if you fill the joints with regular sand and then put a shallow layer of poly on top.

hort101 likes this.
  9. TPendagast

Male

What are you trying to achieve with the polymeric sand , other than it being resistant to being washed/blown/eroded out of the cracks and needing replacement?

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Paver jobs existed long before polysand was ever thought of.

When I first got into the paver business polysand did not exist. The patios are still there.

cotyledon and hort101 like this.