Paver Patterns for Curved Walkways.

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'll admit, I try to avoid cutting pavers whenever possible. After years of going with whatever the client had in mind for design, I have somewhat selfishly been convincing my clients the last several jobs to go with linear pathways and squared off corners whenever I can to avoid excessive cutting.

I do appreciate the curves, though, and they often fit the overall landscape design more aesthetically.

Let's face it though, for a 100 foot pathway that's three feet wide and all curves, it's a crap ton of cutting for such small square footage. We use the handheld demo saw to cut in our soldier course, but this only really works for me on outside curves. The inside curves just don't seem to come out good with the big saw, and require picking up and replacing just about every paver that gets in the way of the blade as the saw moves around the curve.

Inevitably we end up with little sliver cuts that have to be done on the table saw anyway, and all of the soldier course pavers have to be cut on the table saw to adapt to the curve.

I have a project coming up with a pathway that has lots of tight curves. It was a muster K (I) pattern design but I mentioned to the client that she could save money if we went with a running bond pattern and gapped the paver joints as needed to make the curves. Almost no (or very minimal cutting).
Anyone done a running bond pattern for curved walkways? I have only seen pics on the internet. I don't know what it looks like in real life and if the gapped joints between field pavers and soldier course pavers just end up making the whole installation look crappy.

Something like this I took a pic of years ago, not my work. But the curves I will be dealing are much more extreme.

Attachments

• Running Bond.jpg
    Running Bond.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah, mostly disregard this thread unless you have some great insight. Looking at this particular design, I think I'm just going to stick with a common pattern that will require extensive cutting. It is 2 separate patio areas joined by two different diverging pathways that meet in the middle and make a three way intersection. The running bond with gapped spacing is going to look awkward at best

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you could find a 3 piece cobble that would size up with parts from a circle kit you could maybe make some tighter turns using a running bond pattern in a sidewalk. I would see if I could get permission to lay some out down at the supply yard.

OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you could find a 3 piece cobble that would size up with parts from a circle kit you could maybe make some tighter turns using a running bond pattern in a sidewalk. I would see if I could get permission to lay some out down at the supply yard.
Awesome. That's exactly the kind of out of the box advice I was looking for! I never thought to use pieces from a circle kit to make curves. I really think that could work.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
Heres one my guy did with old country pavers last month
Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 8.03.14 PM.png
which was a 3 way intersection with curves. This client was hard to work out a pattern she liked and that he also agreed on doing, he thinks it looks a bit weird in some angles but I think its ok. We had to match award front step heights at the middle with about a 4" drop over 15 feet from the step to the road asphalt and high existing garden beds, she wanted the pavers really deep into the garden.

About 275 square feet total took about 8.5 days after I dug it out. Turns out the neighbour had an ABNB and demanded we can't cut pavers before 11am which the client asked us to obey, we didn't charge the client extra but lost about $5 per man hour because of it, so a new clause is in the contract now

Anyway it's a square pattern but doesn't really look like it, just cuts on soldier and inside of solder course

Lay out border first, lay pattern, make cuts. Very meticulous guy.

Last edited:

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
Just curious Do you use a 6” or a little 4” saw ? Did my first paver patio at my house and found the same exact problem cutting the contour . Was just one tiny curve but I was able to remove every other paver and cut it that way

OP
Hayduke

Hayduke

LawnSite Bronze Member
Anyway it's a square pattern but doesn't really look like it, just cuts on soldier and inside of solder course
What size pavers are those? The squares look like they could be 12 x 12.

Turns out the neighbour had an ABNB and demanded we can't cut pavers before 11am which the client asked us to obey, we didn't charge the client extra but lost about $5 per man hour because of it, so a new clause is in the contract now
That's insane!! Never heard that one before.

Just curious Do you use a 6” or a little 4” saw ? Did my first paver patio at my house and found the same exact problem cutting the contour . Was just one tiny curve but I was able to remove every other paver and cut it that way
We started using a 14" handheld to cut our borders in the field after reading about how much faster it was. It didn't take long to get good at, but it does have it's drawbacks.
Inevitably we have cuts to do on the 10" wet table saw. Last job was all table saw because the pavers were all butted up to a retaining wall and couldn't fit the handheld in.

Top Forums