1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

paver question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gvandora, Aug 10, 2004.

1. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

I have a question about pavers and base materials.

Assuming I'm going to have a 4" base of compacted crushed stone and 1 1/2" of sand. How much material do I need per sq ft? What sort of factor would you use to estimate compaction of material?

Would CR6 be the appropriate base material? What kind of sand should I use for the setting the pavers? Also, should I use the same kind of sand for brushing onto the pavers and how much of it as well?

THANKS!

2. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Aggregate base rule-of-thumb is 4-inches compacted for 50 square feet will use 1-ton.

Bedding sand varies. However, we get about 140 square feet out of 1-ton being 1-inch deep.

Concrete sand should be used for the bedding sand. And, it can also be used for the sweep sand.

Aggregate base should be 3/4-inch down to dust with 5-12% passing the # 200 sieve, also called fines. Same stuff they use under roads in most areas.

Peace,

Rex

paversinstalled.com