1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Paver Saw???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. I am looking to purchase a new paver saw and wanted to see if you guys had any good reviews or experiences with different ones. I am looking for a good plung/table version and not a handheld cutoff saw. It will need to cut pavers as well as wall block. I also prefer a wet kit with it. Who has the right answer for me??? I have seen anything from the $600 ones on ebay to the $2k ones from imer and other brands. Thanks for the help.

2. Picture Perfect Pavers

Picture Perfect Pavers LawnSite Member

I have learned the hard way on this. A table saw is no way as versatile as a hand held saw. I spent 2100.00 on mine and it sits not being used. I would have been better off buying (3) 12 inch chop saws for the money. It is awkward,heavy,hard to manuever on new sites (rough graded) and is a pain in the ass to find a place to clean it in a homeowners backyard. Besideds imagine 3 chop saws to 1 table saw. If you find a good bargain by all means buy it (mine has come in handy) maybe 3 times in 3 years but I wouldnt suggest anyone buy one for everyday use.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We use our table saw on every project. The chop saws definately have a place like cutting wall block, cutting in place, etc., but for cutting border pavers or cap work I wouldn't do it on a chop saw. Much better cut w/ a table saw.

Chris

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We use only a table saw.

And the ONLY brand to buy is: EDCO

They are constantly doing R&D with their products. Small company - GREAT Saws.

5. markam70

markam70 LawnSite Member
    from USA

the same goes for us. i applaud the guys who can get by with just a table saw, but it just doesn't work for us.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We use both table and chop also. I agree that you can cut with more precisionwith a table, but also would not be without a chop. We have target tables and shindaiwa/stihl chops. Any good table saw your gonna spend at least in the teens.

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I think the question was what kind of table saw do you prefer not whats better table or handheld?

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks McKeeLand. you are correct. I am looking for owners of table style saws and their feedback. I understand the pros and cons to the chop saw vs. table saw war. Personally, you could argue a few fine points on both units, but if you had to have just one saw to do everything, you could not get by with just a chop saw and make a lot of the fine cuts that you can with a table. Not to mention the safety factor of the table vs. the chop. you take a lesser exp. guy and put him on a chop saw and if he doesn't loose a limb, he will have at least ruined a patio border. if anyone has any reviews of tables, please let me know. I did call the EDCO rep in my area today. Needless to say, he has a great unit and sold me on the quality of his unit, but i could not see putting $2,500 in a table saw and stand right now.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I run 3 stihl ts400s and 1 taget 14 inch 5.5hp honda table saw. I plan to add a 20 inch table saw in the next couple months.

Honestly, i almost think a table saw is a table saw. Just make sure you get a honda motor.

10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

couple years ago i bought a mk1080 used for $500. at the time i wasn't sure what i wanted but knew i needed something. the tables are heavy but this spring i put wheels on mine and it made a big difference.

the problems i have with mine is that it won't cut 4" caps or large square pavers corner to corner. i'll keep this one for those cut intensive jobs but currently i also have started to look at a bigger machine.