1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

paver scuffing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Sep 2, 2000.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for any ideas on how to prevent paver scuffing. Bomag wants $450+ for a plastic plate. Plywood is just a pain in the @@@. Anybody used conveyer belting? and if you have, how did you attach it. Thanks for the help.

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry but we have had problems with using a rubber belt for a pad on out plate tampers. Buying the factory pad is the best way to go much cheaper in the long run.

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We use 2 different methods for this issue -

For our Bomag we use the factory pad,

for our Stone we use a 1/4" thick natural rubber sheet. We punch 8 grommets into it and hold it onto the compactor with bungees. Faster hookup than the Bomag pad, but the rubber sheets don't last forever. Total price is about $100, not including your labor. However, because it's rubber, it's returning some of the vibration to the compactor (you can feel it), and I think it may end up shortening the compactor's life.

4. OLD CHAPP

OLD CHAPP Guest

How often do you come across paver scuffing in a year
    SCL and what type of paver are you using.

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Chapp,

We do between 8 and 10 paver jobs a year, mostly residential. Our paveloc products aren't as susceptble to scuffing, but our Unilock stuff has a raised irregular face. It's really nice installed but those little white circles make the customers ask alot of questions. With the flat stuff, we just use a little extra sand on the top.

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Unilock OGC and others are the hardest to install with their dimpled face and a rubber sheet just lets about 1/4 the force move to the stones plus the wear on the plate is too great(vibations) look for a tire flap that is made of non marking plastic.

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I disagree on the amount of force lost through the rubber (maybe 25% lost, not 75%), but agree that it beats on the compactor. For lower budget ops, this was a good alternative for me (before I started raking it in :))