1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Paver Walkway, 47' level, 20' slight incline, terrace steps or run straight?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mcw615, Sep 1, 2010.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

Customer wants the first portion level with the house and front yard and to just run the slope straight down, no handicap issues. I was thinking terrace the slope with steps with a 1' drop with a 5' run 3-4 times. Opinions? The slope is not steep, but I don't think it would look the best to have a flat run, then a transition to a 15 degree slope..... What would you do?

DSC02998.jpg

DSC02999.jpg

DSC03003.jpg

DSC03004.jpg

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Oh you gotta put steps in there for sure. Space them out and do some planting around them, give it some life!

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

for sure ..

4. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished an ICPI course, pretty new at hardscaping. I have an employee with 7 years hardscape experience with another company that was into large-upscale head ache hardscape jobs. We worked together this afternoon to estimate time and materials. He estimated 76 man hours from start to completion, it is a total of 320 s.f. Does that many labor hours seem about right?

5. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You just went from how to design the job to how to charge for the job. If you'd like I could help with color choice but I'm really not to good at that. :)

6. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 LawnSite Senior Member

def. need some steps in there.

7. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of hard to tell from a pic, but you probably do need some steps.
    What is the actual rise? you say "1' drop with a 5' run 3-4 times", by my math that makes it 3' or 4' which is a bit much over a 20' run.
    What part of VA are you from?

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

looks like they're running the downspouts uphill? am i seeing that right? go to the street and take a photo of the whole area, close up shots don't help when looking at slopes.

9. chance213

chance213 LawnSite Member

Put some nice sandstone steps or something in there. Like the one guy said do some planting around it. A few plants will go along way if done right.

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Virginia gets snow and ice. Steps for sure or someone is going to bust their butt.