Pavers set against Siding

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hayduke, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Client has existing concrete entryway/stoop with concrete sidewalk leading up to it and block planter. They want us to remove the block planter and all existing concrete sidewalks etc., except leaving the main concrete stoop that butts into their front door threshhold. The entryway stoop will serve as finished grade for a 200 sq foot paver patio that extends their entryway and is flush to grade with the existing concrete stoop.
    As you can see hopefully from the pictures, the concrete stoop was poured right up to the siding, which I believe is painted wood, might be Hardie board. I'll have to look tomorrow.
    Question is: would you lay pavers right up to the siding as the concrete was, or any special separation between the pavers and siding? Yes we are paving over that crawlspace vent. The client is confident hat they have plenty of vents and no issues with moisture under there house-pretty normal around here.

20190723_111952.jpg

20190723_112151.jpg

20190723_111923.jpg

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Does Oregon have humidity?

3. OP
    OP
    Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Some parts of Oregon yes, but my neck of the woods is considered dry, low humidity, more like the Central and sacremento valleys of California. Hot dry summers, cold, mostly dry low humidity winters..

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to install the pavers flush with the top of the stoop it looks like you are going way above the top of the foundation. This will most likely lead to the wood siding and maybe the joist rim and bottom plate rotting down the road. Be very careful with this type of building practice because if it does cause damage you will be responsible to fix it.

AGLA, zlandman and Mumblingboutmowers like this.
  5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

NO

zlandman likes this.
  6. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I hate houses built too low to ground. Need some type of breathable separator at least. Still not a good idea. Otherwise like @BrandonV says.

NO

7. azlandshapes

azlandshapes LawnSite Member

Its a bad practice and they should sign a waiver to release you from termites and rot.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Jimmythegreek

Jimmythegreek LawnSite Member
    from NJ

when you demo it figure out exactly where you are going to end up. use a vibrating tool to clean cut the shape out and get some copper flashing and tuck it underneath the siding all the way around even if you have to use multiple pieces. you can then butt to that. I would also caulk after with high quality sealant

BrandonV and hort101 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Hayduke

Hayduke LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

As it turns out, after posting this thread I got a call from another client who we are doing an install for in a couple months. they were in the process of re-doing all of the siding on the house. Their contractor asked me to stop by and look at the front stoop with him so he could figure out where the siding and all the trim for the front door was going to go, because part of our upcoming project is doing a paver entryway and step to the front door. He was extremely knowledgeable, many years my senior and obviously had been doing construction for a good chunk of his life. He said he would install flashing between the siding and the foundation; trim it out for our installation and then we could butt our pavers right up to the siding with no worry.
    So now I know what to do at the job I started this thread about. Funny how the world works...

BrandonV, hort101 and zlandman like this.
  10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Awesome how that worked out. Have homeowner number 1 contract this guy to do the same thing for the other job too.

BrandonV likes this.