1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by CollegeMowers, Feb 17, 2013.

  1. CollegeMowers

    CollegeMowers LawnSite Member
    Messages: 119

    Looking to start our first big paver job on Tuesday. However, the nice weather we have been having is looking like it is going to turn.

    Look Here: http://www.ktvz.com/-/413314/15349170/-/6cbxupz/-/index.html

    Would anybody risk it and move ahead with the job or re-schedule? (my guys have no problem working in nasty weather)

    Are snow flurries going to affect base compaction or the job in general ( besides working in bad weather)
  2. clipfert

    clipfert LawnSite Member
    Messages: 204

    With those temps at night it looks like your future forecast will be ripping out and redoing your first big paver job.
  3. CollegeMowers

    CollegeMowers LawnSite Member
    Messages: 119

    Cool. So instead,of leaving a sarcastic comment could someone please give me sound advice.

    It has been in the 50's here and no rain/snow for like 3 weeks. Ground is pretty dry and it is not frozen. Won't using a plate compactor and compacting the ground after excavating and laying the base in 2 inch lifts prevent settling even with the weather calling for
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. clipfert

    clipfert LawnSite Member
    Messages: 204

    Your night temps are below freezing. How are you going to keep your base material from freezing. I am assuming since you said it's a large job you would have base material stockpiled on site. Of you can't excavate and compact your sub base and base material screed your concrete sand and lay your pavers in one day(that's above freezing) I would not recommend installing now. Wait till the spring. Once your base material freezes up you cannot get it compacted properly.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  5. CollegeMowers

    CollegeMowers LawnSite Member
    Messages: 119

    Also, do we need to wait until the weather warms permanently or is it okay to lay in the middle of winter if you get a 3-4 week break in weather and the ground is not frozen nor wet.

    I have read lots of conflicting arguments and I just want to hear about peoples experiences.

    I really appreciate your advice.
  6. alldayrj

    alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,793

    I like it to be above freezing for a few days to avoid any heaving
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. clipfert

    clipfert LawnSite Member
    Messages: 204

    Hey. It's winter. Weathermen can't get the weather forecast right three days out let alone 3 weeks.
  8. CollegeMowers

    CollegeMowers LawnSite Member
    Messages: 119

    Your post keeps coming up blank?
  9. Gr8WhiteNorth

    Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 465

    You could lay some insulated tarps down to keep the frost out when the temperatures dip slightly below freezing at night. Let me know how it goes.
  10. DVS Hardscaper

    DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,601

    We work year round.

    Base material is going to freeze on jobs you did in July.

    As long as the ground isn't frozen when we excavate.....we work.

    As long as the ground isn't frozen when we install the aggregate base.....we work.

    We will install pavers on a slightly frozen base. No problems thus far. Reality is - its not going to be the last time that base freezes.

    Deep freezes.......then we probably wont do all the aforementioned.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page