Lawn Care Forum banner

paving formula to calculate jobs

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  joeco129 
#1 ·
i am lookiong to start doing my own driveways. can anyone help me out to figure out the costs and come up with a fomula to charge my customers.

#3 ·
neither.....asphalt! my issue is that my paver wont come out to do extensions or decent size patches. he just wants to do full driveways and parking lots.

so i am looking to invest in some used paving equipment and learn to do these jobs myself (my crew) but i dont know how to pave or how to charge.

#4 ·
Asphalt is foreign to me sorry I've done a lot of cement but no asphalt. Good luck though sorry i wasn't any help.

#5 ·
My friend does paving i never really asked him i think you really have to figure out what your material cost is and break it down to a per foot price . there is basicly 3 -4 things to consider rip up your base material and the asphalt cost. They used to work for a guy before they started there own up so i'm sure they had more insight than that. also what a guy used to do here to keep costs down was prep a bunch in one area then just go from one to the other.

#7 ·
what kind of paving equipment are you looking for, i might be selling some.

as far as calculations go... 2" of asphalt will go about 80 sq ft per ton and 4" will go about 40 sq ft per ton. should be all you need to know to figure out your costs for driveway work.

#8 ·
I started doing small add on's and patches jobs a few years back and it has worked out well. I have landed some decent sealcoating jobs becuase we can patch and, have a dump trailer. I also have a local guy that runs out of the quary that has helped me with the bigger patches. Looking for a one ton used roller now to with the waker plate I have.

#10 ·
I'm a 2nd generation asphalt paving company so hopefully this help. Up here in CT we get from $2.75-$3.00/sqft for a strip (remove old asphalt) and pave. That would include 2"-4" of base installed and graded and a 2"-2.5" asphalt mat AFTER compaction. Most material vendors have calculators to help with material but basically for asphalt itself take the square footage divided by 100 and multiply by 1.25 for a 2" after compaction job to calculate tonnage of asphalt. Lets say 1000sqft driveway - 1000/100=100X1.25=12.5 tons for that job... The formula is the same for 2.5" just multiply by 1.56 to = 15.6 tons (basically 15.5 tons) but always round up to have a little extra on the truck to keep it hot. Never pave less than a 2" mat for driveways or single course paving... anything less will crack over time and ruin your reputation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.