Pay for my Partners Truck?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by thefarmer4, Mar 26, 2001.

  1. thefarmer4

    thefarmer4 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 71

    Hello everybody,

    I currently have a partner, we use his personal truck to do business. How can we fairly reimburse him for that usage and how do we show it on the tax forms.

    We were think of paying for it per mile, but should we include gas and oil changes seperatly or as part of the per milage.

    I just want to do it as simply as possible so I can record it in Quickbooks.

    Thanks for your input.
  2. Fine Lines Lawn

    Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 447

    If you compensate, say .25-.30 per mile, that would cover his gas and oil expenses. Those are common rates for companies that use sales reps. who use their personal cars. Of course there is more wear and tear on a service truck so you can add any benefits you desire for the convenience of using his truck. You might also check with his and your insurance companies for those ramifications, and your CPA could help you with the bookkeeping. Assign a truck number to it, so you can track truck expenses separately. Each of my trucks have separate expense areas in Quickbooks for gas, maintenance, insurance, washing, etc. Hope this helps.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

    Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,912

    depending on how your set up ( inc ?? ) in either event he's allowed to recieve 33.3 cents per mile to cover gas & maintence of the truck

    this may not sound fair ... but if the truck gets .. say 10 miles to the gal. ...he recieved $3.30 for that 10 miles to cover the gas & "wear" on truck ...or about $ 1.50-1.65 for that 10 miles

    your CPA should be able to fully expain the options

Share This Page