Pay Rate for newbie helpers

Discussion in 'Employment' started by cutman2000, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Senior Member

How much(do you all think) is a good starting pay for employees that has never used a string trimmer or edger? Here minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. I generally give raises in 30 days and 90 days. But what would you all think would be the lowest you would consider paying a novice(male or female) to mow for you?

2. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Member

i just hired a cousin he new how to trim but needed help on his technique, spilled fuel, used way too much string, and had to go over some of his work. I started him at 9$/hour and i felt like that was fair. We cut for 11 hours so 100$. it was a long day and hard work he will get better and with experience and less of a hastle for me the more he will make.

3. cutman2000

How long do you think you'll keep him at that rate? Do you intend to raise that rate or remain there?

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

If they are adults minimum of $12
    As an adult they probably have some bills to. If their wage won't support them why would they work for you?

5. cutman2000

I would guess that the region would have something to do with coming up with this number. So I wouldn't think there could be one definite rate across the board. And we are talking about newbies, in training.

6. Mow-Daddy.com

What region are you in?
    And at $7.25 per hr a newbie is not going to have much incentive to kick it in gear. At best they will be a warm body. But at $12 starting wage or more they just might want to learn and become a valuable employee.

13Razorbackfan and RussellB like this.
  7. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

$9.50 until they show signs of improvement. Don’t give raises based on time. For hands, give it based on quality and skill.

Kennedylawns likes this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

If your a solo op how do you assume $9.50 is a good starting wage ?

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Why would I not work at Walmart or a grocery store for 7.25-9.00 an hour
    Some place that has benefits in addition to the wage and is less difficult work with year round employment?

Because I’m too dumb to realize that’s a better offer?
    So you basically want to hire dumber people and then complain about how you can’t find anyone any good?

Anyone worth paying a wage to , trained or novice would laugh at $9/hr for this work .... and rightly so.

10. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

I personally would never hire someone inexperienced to help me but other companies around here pay around $8.00 for new inexperienced hands.