• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Pay up front! or no mow for you.

exmarklover

LawnSite Member
OK, how many of you guys make people pay up front? I have run a video production company for 4 years now and every person or company pays me ALL up front before I even break out the equipment, now having said that I am mowing some commercial lots, and from the way I understand it most of you bill after the job is done. Does anyone bill a week of month in advance to protect you from getting ripped off? And I don't want to hear you have a contract because I have been down that road and you do not all ways win (some lie in the Court room! Shocking I know). Just some thoughts please.

John Gamba

LawnSite Fanatic
Originally posted by exmarklover
OK, how many of you guys make people pay up front? I have run a video production company for 4 years now and every person or company pays me ALL up front before I even break out the equipment, now having said that I am mowing some commercial lots, and from the way I understand it most of you bill after the job is done. Does anyone bill a week of month in advance to protect you from getting ripped off? And I don't want to hear you have a contract because I have been down that road and you do not all ways win (some lie in the Court room! Shocking I know). Just some thoughts please.
Thats the one thing about this mowing thing that sucks:mad: If we got together and demanded payment up front it would be alot better.
I think you will have a hard time doing it because of all the losers in this business.
John

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Pay up front? You're kidding, right? Hell, I can't get most of them to pay on time...

sproutlscape

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by rodfather
Pay up front? You're kidding, right? Hell, I can't get most of them to pay on time...
I do have 1 doc's office that pays up front for mowing. Get ride of the part-time guys, losers, non-tax payers in this business and just maybe the real businesses owners could demand something like this.

yz250fpilot

LawnSite Member
I had a customer last year that paid me monthly in advance. It was nice to not have to worry about collections on that account. I know it worried me when I left a bill at one customer's home and saw a notice that his utilities were turned off due to non-payment. However, I was promptly paid by him. Some people slacked on their timeliness for payment, but I have not had a "non-payer" yet. The first one I get .......gets a salted lawn. :) Advance payments would be nice. They would alleviate all worries.

Just Cut

LawnSite Member
I have been receiving advanced payments for a couple of years, Why should I spend extra time chasing money around. no pay no mow:)

mtdman

LawnSite Gold Member
I get about 25% of my customers to pay up front for the season in advance. Other than that, I make 'em put down a deposit if they continually pay late.