Peer Group Advice

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by cz1234, Dec 12, 2018.

1. cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Hi,

My name is Chris - located in Connecticut - and I am looking to join or even start a peep group. I am looking for a group with 6-8ish people with varying experience in the lawn care industry/sector.

The group and/or people should be accountable, responsible, and willing to listen to and/or share ideas with the group. They can be tried and true traditionalist, broad thinking people, and anything in between looking to grow/share/better themselves and their business.

My preferences are:
    - join an existing group (but will start one if necessary)
    - conference call and/or meetings via phone/computer
    - should be a collective group of high energy people that are successful in life - current annual sales are less of a concern
    - Free, but dedicated group/people
    - frequency - flexible to as frequent as once a week to once per 8 weeks.
    - participation - everyone participates adding value - dead weight/leeches are kept out.

If anyone has any insights on an existing group and/or interest in starting a group, please let me know.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,

Chris

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome Chris.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Thanks Mow. Looking forward to adding value to this site/group.

4. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Just to reiterate - this is not a solicitation for a consulting business. I want to surround myself with lawn care professionals looking to share and grow.

5. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

My best advice, start reading threads here on LS.
    Hundreds of bits of info, from businesses to homeowners all in one place.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Thanks, but I am looking for a group of people that are looking to talk things through and build together vs. a ton of research and reading through threads. A lot more gets accomplished when there is human interaction. General insights is great, but there are too many threads to read through.

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  7. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

What's your benefit?

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

I have a different POV as I didn't grow up in this industry. I came from the marketing side of the street and have a ton of energy and drive.

9. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

So you want everyone elses ideas on how to run a mowing business, then you plan on starting up one? That about accurate

10. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I grew up in the green industry, primarily the Ag side but I had always dabbled in lawn/landscaping. Professionally tho, I’m a sales/service guy. When I finally decided to build a professional/full time lawn biz, it wasn’t that difficult imo. Selling the work was easy, doing the work was easy but the back end stuff was where the learning curve came and still exists for me. That’s part of the reason I joined LS. To read and engage in topics where I can learn and contribute what I comes easy for me. So, if you stick around long enough, you’ll find this entire site to be better than a peer group with limited amount of opinions/experiences. As where here even the less business savvy individuals still contribute useful, sometimes eye opening opinions/ideas. I’m not knocking anyone but there are several walks of life here and I can honestly say I take things from all of them. Some things may be what not to do but those are just as important imo.