Peer Group Advice

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by cz1234, Dec 12, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Not at all. This is a grow together type group I am looking for where we all benefit from each other and our different POV/situation/experience.

2. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your insights. I plan on being here a while.

3. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

What type of lawncare/landscape are you planning on doing ?

Also curious what this statement means?

As apposed to slaves ?
    Just kidding.

Cam15 and dieselss like this.
  4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

You know marketing, what's in for you?

5. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

That is a great question and also a tricky one. I know marketing but own a lawn service business. Financially speaking, there is nothing to gain from the group I am looking for as I am not a consultant. BUT...I can lean on other professionals for pitfalls that I can avoid to trend in the correct direction as they can on me. It is a - one hand washes the other - type group. This group also can hold the other members accountable from being complacent. i.e. you have a task you need to do, discuss, prepare for the group that could be a simple as participation on the call or as thorough as a pitch refinement if you are looking to get funding and such.

two, three, 8 heads are better than one. We all think we are doing it the best way...but what if we are not? What is we can do it an easier way. Those keys are very important for me to figure out with people as opposed to without. Make better sense?

hort101 likes this.
  6. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Silver Member
    from NWI....

Ya, you want others to help run YOUR business so you dont make the same mistakes they did. Sound about right?

7. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

I have a multi-faceted lawn/pest control company that will focus on seed, fert, aerate, landscape/cutting, tick/mosquito, deer, and poison ivy control.

Regarding the dedicated question - funny... What I mean by that is I am looking for a group or people that are dedicated. What is dedication? They value the other peoples time as much as their own. When a group meeting or direction is given, they follow through instead of using the excuse - I am/was busy. Does that explain it better?

8. OP
    OP
    cz1234

cz1234 LawnSite Member

Maybe? This may be a long way of saying yes...

I am hoping the group will be diverse vs. just based upon annual sales. The traditionalists with years of experience have weaknesses and the startup has weaknesses. We can all help each other...but nobody besides me is running my business as this is not a consultancy request.

The idea is to share ideas so everyone runs their business more efficiently. We can choose to listen, discuss why/why not, and/or raise a possibly better way.

This site is wonderful and you get great conversations such as this, but they are from afar. The group (or people) I am looking for is/are willing to do a deeper dive. We get to learn and understand each other's business more than just a few sentences. They get to hear from sed business owner and able to do a back and forth Q&A in real time. It is a close-knit group of professionals looking to grow the right way. Kind of like marriage vs. a date. Your significant other (this group) has a different perspective than a first date (this site). The first date can give insights based upon their experience, but the sig other gives advice based on experience AND knowledge of the person asking the question.

If this isn't for you or you don't know of a group already doing this...no worries. I am putting myself out there knowing I know enough not to know everything and would like to be efficient with my time and build mutually beneficial relationships with my peers.

hort101 likes this.
  9. FWLM1

FWLM1 LawnSite Member

Cz,
    I was looking for the same as you when I joined a few weeks ago. I owned a decent sized company in my younger years, and I am looking to return to it in my older years. I’ve been a lurker for years on here, never participated in the discussion. That being said, there are many helpful folks on here. Research specific threads, find members that align with your thought processes. It will end up being more effective. There’s a lot of good knowledge and people on here, but the are busy people. There’s also a quite a few with a mower in the truck, making the jump from 7k in gross revenues to 4 million, next year...just my .02, take it for what it’s worth.

Cam15, hort101, Doc8406 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

yes and that is exactly what this community is meant to be...peer to peer interaction. so, cz1234, you can have a the discussion right here or I can move to the Networking forum (what area are you from) and you can discuss with others in your area

Walker56, hort101 and dieselss like this.